Shortening one rudder pintle on H23

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
The pintles on my H23 are the exact same length, so installing the rudder means you have to line up the gudgeons on the rudder bracket at exactly the same moment and then push the rudder down. Given it floats, that can be tricky. Other boats I have seen have one pintle slightly shorter so you can line up one, slide it on a bit, then while that is held in position, line up the other and insert.

My lower pintle has about 2 inches above the gudgeon when in place. I am thinking of cutting off about 1/2 inch from it and then rounding the top as it was. I hate to cut things that can't be put back unless I am sure, though. Has anyone done this or have any other comments?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
I think I would cut the top one instead. I understand wanting to cut the bottom one but you may need to take it off and grind a point back on. This way you don't have to mess with the water line issues and you can sort of let it rest on the longer bottom pintle then move it in/over the top one and seat the rudder. I had one rewelded and the guy did not center it up when welding. I tapped or hit it back into place carefully and its good to go now.
Good idea!

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
pintles

The pintles on my H23 are the exact same length, so installing the rudder means you have to line up the gudgeons on the rudder bracket at exactly the same moment and then push the rudder down. Given it floats, that can be tricky. Other boats I have seen have one pintle slightly shorter so you can line up one, slide it on a bit, then while that is held in position, line up the other and insert.

My lower pintle has about 2 inches above the gudgeon when in place. I am thinking of cutting off about 1/2 inch from it and then rounding the top as it was. I hate to cut things that can't be put back unless I am sure, though. Has anyone done this or have any other comments?
My memory is not what is used to be . We had an H23 for a long time and I thought one of the pintles had a hole for a cotter pin to keep the whole thing from coming off the pintles if you hit a low spot . I seem to remember this happening to me because I did not have a cotter pin in the pintle . I do remember it coming off , maybe I am wrong about the reason . We typically only put the rudder on in the spring and took it off in the fall so it was not a big deal . Whatever you decide good luck , our 23 was a great boat .

Apr 27, 2010
My 23 does not have a hole for a cotter pin, though that would be nice - don't think I could drill one in stainless, onto a curved surface, without a drill press. I use a clamp - the type you put in an electrical outlet box to clamp the cable entering the hole.

I think I'd be able to re-round (put a "point" on) either pintle, with my angle grinder and rotary tool. I also put the rudder on only once per season, so nothing will happen until I pull it at end of summer anyway.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
My lower pintle has a hole for amcotter pin. Its a good idea. A local machine shop can do it. ALot of the smaller shops will do this work. I found a good one that does good cheap work for cash.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 23 Massabesic
My 87 Hunter 23 has a hole in the upper pintle which I have a safety clip in. I would not sail on my lake with out a safety safety clip.

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
safety clip

My 87 Hunter 23 has a hole in the upper pintle which I have a safety clip in. I would not sail on my lake with out a safety safety clip.
The day I mentioned earlier when our rudder assembly came off was not a fun day for us . It was a rough windy day and those things are not as easy to control without a rudder . Like they say , it is never an adventure when it is happening . Thats what sailing is all about , you learn something every time you leave the dock .

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for all the advice. I think in the off season I may remove both pintles, shorten the lower one and round the end, and drill a hole in the upper for a safety clip. It'll let me reseal with my butyl rubber.