Shore Power set up

Jun 5, 2018
Beneteau 35S5 Buffalo, NY
Hello All, I have 1989 Beneteau First 35S5, I'm looking for information on running shore power it is not listed in my manual and was wondering if there is a detailed description of the procedure when going from battery power to shore power.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your shore power is going to need a plug
A typical sequence might be...
Step one... With boat AC power shut off and al generators or inverters in the off position, connect the power cord to the shore power stand. Connect the power cord to the boat outlet.
Step two
Turn the shore power at the stand on. Go inside your boat and turn the master AC breaker to on.
Check that the AC power polarity light is green.

Some boats with generators may have an additional switch change from generator to shore power - but you made no mention of a generator.

Jun 5, 2018
Your shore power is going to need a plug
A typical sequence might be...
Step one... With boat AC power shut off and al generators or inverters in the off position, connect the power cord to the shore power stand. Connect the power cord to the boat outlet.
Step two
Turn the shore power at the stand on. Go inside your boat and turn the master AC breaker to on.
Check that the AC power polarity light is green.

Some boats with generators may have an additional switch change from generator to shore power - but you made no mention of a generator.
Good information
Thank You

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I question if anyone else sees a problem? Shore power thought to be off, if you plug in at the shore, then by some error or malfunction it is hot, if accidently dropped in the water, it is 4th of July again. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
My 2 cents.
Ron, I like your 2 cents.
Were you helping my description of possible proceedure?

Perhaps I was unclear.

“Step one... With boat AC power shut off and all generators or inverters in the off position, connect the power cord to the shore power stand. Connect the power cord to the boat outlet.“​
In this first step all power is in an off position. So no risk of putting electrical energy in any water. Granted I typed the steps in a sequence that might cause an individual to get on and off the boat twice. for most of us (me certainly, i can use the exercise. And sometimes i find myself getting on and off the boat more than once). This will change as you develop your own sequence. The important fact is that while plugging in the cord All power is off.
Step two​
Turn the shore power at the stand on. Go inside your boat and turn the master AC breaker to on. Check that the AC power polarity light is green.​
Once the plugs are secure I suggest you power up the cords. The final act is to energize the boat AC circuits from inside the boat.

Hope that provides clarity. Sorry if I mistyped.

Jun 5, 2018
When I set up the shore power I noticed that the 110 outlets in the boat have power and the battery charger that is running however there is no power to any of the devices that are connected to the battery system is that normal?

Thanks for all your advice it has been very helpful!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
You should have a breaker on your DC power panel that's labeled something like "Mains". Closing that breaker should provide 12 VDC power to the 12 VDC systems (assuming those breakers are one), assuming your battery selector switch is on.

Oct 22, 2014
Lets break this down...
  1. When I set up the shore power I noticed that the 110 outlets in the boat have power
    1. Good. The 110 outlets are AC outlets just like your plugs at home. You are getting the AC power from the shore power outlet if plugged in to shore power. NORMAL
  2. and the battery charger that is running
    1. Good. Someone must have turned on the battery charger. The charger is powered by AC power. There is likely a switch on the AC panel labeled "Charger" or "Battery Charger". When in the "on" position power from shore is coursing through the wires to the battery charger. The battery charger would be changing the AC power to DC power and sending it onward to the batteries. NORMAL
  3. however there is no power to any of the devices that are connected to the battery system is that normal?
    1. Have you switched on the DC power Main Circuit Breaker? If on then have you switched on the DC power breaker for that specific device? If No then you need to move the switches to on.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
My thought--and I think this was @Ron20324's--was that I always plug the shorepower cord into the boat before plugging it into the shorepower to make sure I don't have hold of a live wire while standing on a boat.

Oct 22, 2014
to make sure I don't have hold of a live wire while standing on a boat.
Good plan... Note if the Shore Power switch is in the off position, a cord is not live...