shore power in EU with 4 pin US 50amp plug

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Hi, before I get the electrical guy in a quick question. I have a Hunter 49 with a 125v 50 amp 3 pin plus ground plug. the power Co.es into the boat via an isolation transformer there is a wall switch above transformer 120/240 volt selector.
my question is that now that I have sailed to Europe can I make up a lead and put 240 16 amp direct into boat outlet. The plug has red, white, black Green. Can
I just wire in the red black and green to EU power?

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Too many unknowns. Is your 50 amp service split phase or single phase? A 3 wire plus ground suggests split phase, or 2 120v circuits. If you connect Euro 230v to one leg you could get fry things. The iso transformer will likely not modify the frequency from 50 Hz to 60 Hz. An inverter is needed to do that. More details are needed on what you have and how it's wired.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi, before I get the electrical guy in a quick question. I have a Hunter 49 with a 125v 50 amp 3 pin plus ground plug. the power Co.es into the boat via an isolation transformer there is a wall switch above transformer 120/240 volt selector.
my question is that now that I have sailed to Europe can I make up a lead and put 240 16 amp direct into boat outlet. The plug has red, white, black Green. Can
I just wire in the red black and green to EU power?
Ok,
Here is what you need to know.
Firstly, there is a disconnect breaker above the transformer underneath the bunk. This is to comply with ABYC.
But, I don’t think this is what you’re talking about.
The transformer can be re-wired (by moving one leg on the terminal strip), to have 120v input. (See my most recent post)
This requires an adapter cable drum 50A to 30A to permit you to plug into 120v shore.

This switch is REALLY dangerous, insofar that if you plug your boat in to 220V, and forget it’s in the 120v position, you’ve got 440v frying everythig hooked up to your ac distribution

I use the 120 v mode all the time, but have NEVER put in a switch, although this would be easy for me.

I manually move the one wire, and then put a large notice at the chart table saying “Caution 120V Mains to shore!!”

Now, using your boat in Europe…
Firstly, get rid of the 50A twist lock power inlet, and install a Smart Plug. 50A version. Much easier to plug in and out of, and way less risk of fire. The original twist locks have horrible contacts.

You can make an adapter cable which adapts the euro 240 shore to your stern inlet.

I am confused by your saying that plug has red, black, white green.
I think this is your original USA power cord.
The Boat (with isolation transformer) does not the shore neutral (white)
The neural us derived from the secondary of the transformer. Hunter only used the red & black from the shore power, which was 220v
So, you will, essentially, be doing the same thing.
I believe that the transformer has a tap to slightly reduce the voltage if it’s 240; not 220.

And, at this point I’m going to insist you get an electrician to your boat. I’m not trying to be demeaning, but there are a few ways you can seriously damage your boat , and yourself , with this mains change over. I know the xformer and it’s taps back to front, but also know that it’s easy to wire it wrong.
if there is truly a 120 / 220 v selector switch next to the xformer, I’d put a lockout switch & safety signage.
Accidentally doubling your mains voltage = fire.

please be careful
Can you please post picture of voltage selector?

Sep 29, 2012
Taswell 43 Center Cockpit currently the eastern Carrib
I'm assuming your boat is typical US-wired system, a 3-wire, 120vAC boat, and the isolation transformer is set to reduce the incoming power to match your boat's 120vAC system? Ours is just the oppoasite...it is an Asian boat, set up for 230vAC power, and we have a Victron Isolation transformer to convert incoming shore power (110vAC) to 230vAC. Be careful: US 110v is 3-wire, as is EU power. BUT...US 220/240vAC is 4-wire---a BIG difference! When we cruised Asia, and then the Medd, it was not an issue, as that's what our boat was wired for. But now, in the Caribb, we had the issue, and the typical 220v/240v (4-wire)power pole is NOT compatible. We got around the issue; I took a standard 110v AC shore power cord, and changed one end to match both my boat inlet. It works. In your case, take a 110v shore power cord, and change one end to match the 230v,16amp 3-wire power pole in the Medd....and make sure your transformer is set up accordingly. That way your boat AC dist system will always see the 110v (3-wire) power it is set up for. BUT DO NOT try to connect a 4-wire (2 hots, a neutral, and a grnd) 220v system to your 3-wire (1 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground) boat system unless you really know what you're doing!