CAMK36

May 23, 2012
Oday 19 Lake George
I need to replace my outboard.

I have a 19' Oday.

What HP and which make is recommended?

I appreciate the help.

Also what length should the shaft be.

I have been leaning toward a mercury 6hp long shaft but want to hear from others and get some recommendations before I buy an outboard.

Still a novice sailor after 4 years!

CAK

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I had an O'Day 19 back in the mid 80's. I sailed on local lakes mostly and I had a 4hp Evinrude standard shaft. But I think it was rated for up to 8hp and I think a long shaft would be better if you are in any significant seas.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I dont know about a 19, but the previous owners bought my 222 with a 4 hp, and lamented on its complete lack of power. They put an 8hp on it and sang about it. A 6hp might be a good compromise.

If you have the $$$ I would suggest a four stroke. Heavier per hp, more complex and rougher running, but are more fuel efficient and 2 strokes are increasingly being banned from certain waters and is a trend that will likely continue toward killing off 2 strokes.

Jul 5, 2010
Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15 Michigan
I have a 2.5 hp short/standard shaft on my O-Day Mariner. Works fine for lake sailing.

Jul 3, 2012
Island Packet 31 Destin Fl
I have a 25 O'Day, and have had good luck with the Yamaha engines, Probably a 7 hp for your vessel would be adequate.

Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
I recently purchased a 5hp for my Catalina 22 and it pushes me along nicely at about 5 knots (I'm guessing) at only half throttle.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
You can pay a premium price for a Mercury, or you can save yourself three or four hundred dollars by buying a Tohatsu. They make the small Mercury engines, so all you're getting for the extra money is the name - the engine is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.