Shooting some video in the harbor

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Nice. I like the oars without the gunwale. Helps to tell the story of a row around the harbor and still gives a full view. I tend to prefer softer transitions, like a dissolve or cross-fade. These transitions seemed a bit abrupt.

Keep up the good work. Maybe next year I'll make it to Rockport. ;):beer:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Enjoyable.
The video was much improved. I liked the position of the camera with the oar dipping. The transitions from scene to scene could be less sever. Use of a fade in/out might make the video feel smoother.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Yes, much better. I like that you kept the framing consistent, and the contrast between open water and scenery and more close-up views of those beautiful sailboats! Kayakers were a nice touch.

+1 to the comments regarding transitions. Smoother is better with that subject matter, IMO.

Although I find the sound of the your boat moving through the water and the dipping of the oars in the water very soothing, I can't help but wonder what that would feel like with a musical bed.

Something that occurs to me, just an idea, mind you, is how interesting it might be with narration. I'm thinking histories of the boats and their owners along with local color. Gathering, editing, and record all that would be a lot of work, though, and may not mesh with your creative vision, so again, just a thought.

Looking forward to more, and thanks for sharing!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
First sailing footage, I still need lots of practice. I’ll have to learn to see in video. Takes time

All hand held iPhone footage with no external mic. I’m sailing the boat (wheel locked) solo as I’m taking footage.

Obvious faults: too much (and still too fast) panning. Sound not adjusted uniformly(but less wind noise curiously with built in mic).

must remember auto focus while panning or lock focus and exposure on background

Jan 11, 2014
I think the place to start is the purpose of the pan. Is it to show detail or to show movement and time? If detail, then slower and focus on a smaller area. If to show time and movement, faster is probably better.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Interesting experiment. I have always felt capturing video of sailing from POV on a boat is generally boring. Video needs movement not to be just artsy. A boat healing biting into the wind. Breaking wave action overt the bow or over the boat. Crew grinding the winches on a tack etc. The captures of entering the harbor with boats going by grabbed me more than the panning of the boat at anchor in the fog. The silence was missing the sound of a fog bell in the distance.

I mentioned artsy, because the music in the final quarter of the scene put that thought in my mind.

Your still photos always have grabbed me as being well composed.

Jan 11, 2014
Tom, Not sure if you have come across this website. There are a few free videos on creating videos that you might find informative. I watched them a while back when I dabbled in video.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Tom, Not sure if you have come across this website. There are a few free videos on creating videos that you might find informative. I watched them a while back when I dabbled in video.

Thanks, Dave, I've seen many of those. Most of my crash course has been on Youtube video channels. It's a pretty good source. I'll keep working at it, it's still fun.

As John mentions, many sailors find sailing footage boring, especially if it's light air without the more white-knuckle-heavy weather stuff. I'll have to remember to take some of that footage as well. On this first sail of the season, we did in fact have that hull speed and beyond sailing right out of the harbor. But I didn't even think to take any footage. :)

I'm doomed as I'm more interested in recording the sights, sounds, and motion (emotion) that come from light air sailing. But a mix is a good idea.

This is all instructive critique. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
In your 2nd video at 2:22: Winsome, from Oxford MD! A beautiful small town on the Eastern Shore that's one of my favorite cruising destinations. Very nice videos, Tom!

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks, Dave, I've seen many of those. Most of my crash course has been on Youtube video channels. It's a pretty good source. I'll keep working at it, it's still fun.

As John mentions, many sailors find sailing footage boring, especially if it's light air without the more white-knuckle-heavy weather stuff. I'll have to remember to take some of that footage as well. On this first sail of the season, we did in fact have that hull speed and beyond sailing right out of the harbor. But I didn't even think to take any footage. :)

I'm doomed as I'm more interested in recording the sights, sounds, and motion (emotion) that come from light air sailing. But a mix is a good idea.

This is all instructive critique. Thanks!
Tom, when I took my foray into video, the most difficult thing was finding a story to tell. The best video with no story is perhaps less interesting than a good story with mediocre video. The videos I did a few years ago for Good Old Boat were interesting in spite of mediocre video because the story was simple, they were how-to videos.