Shockles won't open

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Has anybody ever had the problem of the clip on the Shockles line snubber not opening and how to fix it?

I have had pretty good experience with them over the last 10 or 15 years in which they really do lessen the shock load at a dock on my dock lines when boats might be going by. I know they've been taking over bye Davis now so I'm not sure if contacting them would help but I will try but wanted to ask his form if anybody was able 2 make them open when they're stuck. I have tried PB blaster but don't think that will work because it seems almost like there's a tab in a joint that prevents it from opening which never has been a problem in the past. Any suggestions?

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Looks like a plain-old aluminum carabiner. Probably a corrosion problem. Easily and cheaply replaced.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looks like the gate deformed and caused the gate to bind or bend a little. Time for a new carabiner.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looks like a plain-old aluminum carabiner. Probably a corrosion problem. Easily and cheaply replaced.
The carabiner on the shockles are SS, at least the ones on the Shockles I own are. The gates can deform if a sideways load goes on the gate. The carabiner are designed to be strong on the longitudinal axis, if the load goes across the gate it will bend.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That tab is the spring that holds the gate closed.. it may have broken and jammed but more likely the hook is slightly bent and the gate is jamming on the part of the hook that it locks with.. Best bet would be to replace the caribiner.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
That tab is the spring that holds the gate closed.. it may have broken and jammed but more likely the hook is slightly bent and the gate is jamming on the part of the hook that it locks with.. Best bet would be to replace the caribiner.
I think you might have it but it moves freely 1/4" to the slightly open position in which something in the joint is stopping it. I don't think it was overloaded at the dock but agree, maybe just a new carabiner or just a replacement Shockles will be the solution. A good carabiner is almost 1/2 the price of the Shockles.

Attachments