Shoal keel draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
How did you go about measuring it?
My 2001 is high and dry righ now, and it look like the spade rudder is just shalow of the keel.

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
Catalina built the 310 with 2 keel lengths. One was 4'4" and the other was was 4'-9". I didn't realize that there was a 4'-9" keel until I put a downpayment on a boat with a 4'-9" keel. Friends in my area made me aware of my potential mistake; there was someone in my shallow sailing area (Barnegat Bay, NJ) who mistakenly got the longer keel and actually had to replace the keel. I wound up getting my downpayment back and then bought hull #297 with a 4'-4" draft.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
So now we have (3) shoal keel specs. 4'4", 4" 9", and 4' 10".
I believe my 2001 hull # is 083.
Was this an option for 2 different shoal keels, or did they change the spec at some point in the production run? I find it no mention of (3) different keels in any of the literature, only shoal or fin.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
The measurement was actually a side result of verifying the mast height above waterline when I had the stick down for repairs. I measured the distance from the painted waterline (antifouling) to the actual waterline while still in the water. Once hauled, we used a level and straight edge with a plumbbob to determine distance from mast step to actual waterline, and waterline to bottom of keel.

Status
Not open for further replies.