Shipping / brokerage costs to Canada

Noodle

May 17, 2020
Hunter 26 Southwestern Ontario
Hi Sailors!

I'll be ordering a new bimini from the site. Has anyone located in Canada purchased a large item like this recently and can share what the brokerage costs were?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 23, 2020
Hunter 30G Nanaimo
I purchased a rudder worth $2000 USD last year. Paid $ 200 CAD for clearance and brokerage

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
probably have to provincial taxes as well. If they ship UPS be ready for a large brokage bill.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Hi Sailors!

I'll be ordering a new bimini from the site. Has anyone located in Canada purchased a large item like this recently and can share what the brokerage costs were?

Thanks in advance!
If at all possible use USPS as there will only be a small handling fee vice huge brokerage fee by named commercial couriers. You can also self clear the item(s). If the bimini is manufactured in the US (or Mexico or Canada) then there will be no duty.
Duty and Taxes Estimator
How to avoid extra fees for international delivery services

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
For us YANKS down below... what is brokerage in this context? Is this the same thing we call customs in the US or is it akin to teriffs?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Middleman. In this case brokerage fees cover the costs of processing the paperwork and paying the taxes and duties to the Canada Border Services Agency for imported items. Most country have them available to provide you a service. The major couriers such as Fedex, DHL, Purolator and especially UPS charge big fees which are normally based on the value of the imported item.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
In normal times I have always had my US orders sent to MyUSAddress.com In Ogdensburg NY. I have driven down and picked up the orders and brought the items across through customs myself. Usually I have only paid HST at the border and occasionally a nice customs officer has waived me thru - No charge. That was then.

With the border closed I recently ordered some cables from Genuine Dealz - cost was $125 US. By the time it arrived at my door it had accrued $65.00 shipping (free to US address) and $75.00 in taxes and brokerage. I have since given up ordering from the US until the border re-opens. Since then it is amazing the number of Canadian companies I have found that can supply locally!

Tim

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I sold a 5hp outboard on eBay to someone in Canada once. He had me ship it to a place on the US side of the border.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hi Sailors!

Thanks in advance!

As much as I hate to steer business away from the site, have you checked local sources? I oreder as much as possible from HOW, but with 30% exchange and the typical UPS "handling" fee and customs fees makes it pricey.

Noodle

May 17, 2020
Hunter 26 Southwestern Ontario
Thanks everyone - We'll stick with the less heavy/bulky items straight from the site. The rest will have to be local. A big markup here too, but tis the times!!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone - We'll stick with the less heavy/bulky items straight from the site. The rest will have to be local. A big markup here too, but tis the times!!
I wouldn't say there is a huge markup, but most of the parts here are unique and fabricated in smaller lots, hence a premium and has been a valuable source for items not available anywhere else. Unfortunately, living north of the border we're subjected to the dollar exchange ( was great whe the CDN $ was at parr ) and customs duties etc. etc.