Shipping a 22 overseas ?

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Anyone with a 22 ever had their boat shipped overseas from the USA? I've been interested in going to other countries with my 22 and it looks very enticing.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Why would you bother? The cost of shipping would be more than the boat is worth. And depending on customs you would pay fees..

Might be OK if you were actually moving there and recall really loved the boat.

Where are you thinking of going ? For how long? You could simply buy a more suitable boat there. Or rent one for a few weeks

Mar 2, 2018
Leeward, All very good comments for sure. I have my boat set up exactly the way I like it and it is very well maintained, unlike most of the charter boats i've been on. I would think at least a few months to make it worth it.
Europe maybe.
We are still working on the Sea of Cortez for the next few years and then down Mainland Mexico but we trailer it down there.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have my boat set up exactly the way I like it and it is very well maintained, unlike most of the charter boats i've been on.
There are plenty of good charter companies.

Europe maybe.
That's like saying I want to sail North America.
Europe is 44 countries, 90,000 km of coastline, with rivers and lakes on top of that. The sailing conditions vary widely. Local small sailboats are often best suited for the local conditions.

Canals, rivers and coastal tidal areas, are a great way to see some parts of Europe and the UK. A C22 or Jaguar 22 would likely do ok there.
A boat that can sit upright when the tide goes out is a huge benefit in that type of sailing.

FWIW: A friend shipped his boat to the UK years ago and it was $1,500 CAD a foot if I remember right.
A C22 would be cheaper because it could be rolled on and off the ship on it's trailer, so no crane or cradle needed. Based on a quick google search it looks like RoRo is starting at $300 USD so $13,200 return, not including government fees. Obviously you would also need to buy or rent a tow vehicle there.

Maybe contact these guys:

Mar 2, 2018
Thanks for the input.
Like I mentioned before we are still working on the Sea of Cortez first.
I like the idea of rolling it off the ship on the trailer. Once it's there we could tow it anywhere !

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
There must be a way that works somehow. After all they ship Lasers, Wasp's and other smaller race boats all the time for large events. I believe the C22 can fit in a container as well so you could look into that route. You just back it in, strap it down, and then close up the doors. Just a thought though. Let us know what you find as I have always been curious as well.

Mar 2, 2018
Lakeshark, You might be up to something ! Maybe I could join a 22 racing group and when they ship a group of boats get in on it?? I'd have to learn how to race.........

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Not a 22, but quoted prices to ship my Hunter 386 from California to Southhampton, England in 2015 was $40,000. Then I would have to transport or re-rig and sail it to Cardiff, Wales close to where I was living. Suggest obtaining actual quotes to make an informed decision.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Also, double-check the small print in a shipping contract. Pricing offered is not always pricing guaranteed. It can be subject to change, which has been a rampant problem lately with supply chain issues.