Ship-to-Shore Transport for <25-Foot Boats?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Prior to our current boat we carried our dink on the step transom of our H28. Worked very well in all sorts of sea states. Did the same with our current boat and prefer our method over towing, foredeck, davits, etc. Simple, low cost and easy to launch and stow. Always inflated ready for use. https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6195&mn=42

For those boats without a step transom, Edson sells large hooks that mount on the stern rail where you can hang the inflatable. For your size boat I would think a six or seven footer would work nicely. https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDSON-INFLATABLE-BOAT-MOUNTS-/371900071129

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
This is great deal trickier from a monohull.
The original thread title says for boats less than 25 foot.. so here is what we are trying now.

We have an old trailerable Mac 26S and when on anchor or a mooring and with this boat, its easiest to board from a ladder on the stern. We are 60 and 62 YO but in fair shape and use a two person inflatable kayak as a dingy. What is nice about this 11 foot inflatable.. its only about 30 pounds so I can store it in the boat (Vberth area) and its low enough hassle to move around and empty or fill with air (less than 2 psi pressure- very quick with a 12 volt air pump) that I will store it for just day sailing if the sailing looks like its going to be especially fun. More hassle.. not likely to do this and I would end up towing it.

The big hassle for getting on the boat from the kayak was climbing over the stern rail. I recently modified that stern rail with an opening over the ladder that Im fairly sure will make getting from the kayak to the boat a fair amount simpler (at least at my age). Getting on an off the boat from the kayak is mostly what drove messing with this.. but it also makes it easy to get on and off from the boat stern beached.

I also had a inflatable stand up paddle board stashed on this boat for a trip last summer. Its getting replaced this year with snorkeling equipment but the kayak stays.

kayak1.JPG
stern_rail1.jpg

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A 10 folding transom RIB weighs no more than a similar roll-up floor inflatable and is easily handled by two if you don’t want to tow. It has the advantage of being able to careen when coming to shore. But if you don’t want the bulk just find a small inflatable dinghy with Decitex or Hypalon for strength. Any inflatable offers twice the carrying capacity of a similar sized hard shell, and multiples more safety. Try swamping your hard shell, canoe, or portabote in rough water and recovering. Ain’t gonna happen, you can’t bail those boats out in rough water. Add a couple of passengers and some supplies and you are going swimming. Do the same with an inflatable, the bouyancy makes them unsinkable and easily bailed out in any conditions.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I am not sure I would recommend doing this after I did it but I took a 40 dollar sevelor rubber boat and built a rigid bottom with a motor mount. We used it on on our honeymoon to the North Channel. We had a ball with it but it was full of holes by the time we got back. Definetly got our money's worth of fun out of it.
20160721_203253.jpg

Sam

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
IMG_1456.JPG
We bought a Walker Bay 8 for our trips ashore. Its a 65 lbs Tupperware bowl. Tows fine. Never had to bring it in due to weather. It'll take three people and it's easy to carry up the beach.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Now if someone would just figure out how to get on shore from a rubber ducky without getting soaked. it's no fun to hike much with wet sneakers. ;)

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Thinking PortaBote for next .. folded, lashed to lifeline stanchions.
https://www.porta-bote.com/
Kloudie, I’ve had one for two seasons and I don’t even know if it floats. The admiral likes marinas so we marina hop. I have Garhauer SUP brackets that it fits into but I usually leave it in the garage at home. If you get one tell me how you like it. :biggrin:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Kloudie, I’ve had one for two seasons and I don’t even know if it floats. The admiral likes marinas so we marina hop. I have Garhauer SUP brackets that it fits into but I usually leave it in the garage at home. If you get one tell me how you like it. :biggrin:
Is that even cruising? (If you say that, blame it on me:)!).

You see, I'm generally cruising to good kayaking spots. I've seen enough marinas to last a lifetime.