shinnecock canal mast stepping cranes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2011
Tanzer 25 25 peconic bay
shinnecock canal in hampton bays has low bridges.there are free to use cranes for the purpose of lowering ones mast.has anyone here had any experience using them? i know they exist and i will be on my own,but any advice would be appreciated.im traveling through there on saturday 11/5 single handed on a 23 oday poptop.thanks

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Many years ago

Many years ago while I had my boat in riverhead a fellow had a sailboat next to me and it was bigger like maybe a 34 dufour told me he did the crane at the canal with help and was doable but not some thing he would want to do again for sure,he did it up and down on both sides but I would check them out first and make sure they are in working condition.
I remember seeing them one time while going through with jetskis and he did use them around 2005 give or take a year or so,I would take a drive before time just to make sure they are ok.
Nick

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Should not be a problem for a deck stepped light mast like yours. Assuming that you have done it before and that there is a helping hand. I like Nick's idea of checking it out beforehand. Currents and winds can make a big difference.

Coming out of the Erie Canal we heard of a DIY place. We rented a car to do some sight-seeing and decided to check it out. Four guys were wrestling with a deck-stepped mast on about a 30-footer. This in the Hudson river with boat traffic throwing wakes. After an hour they still had not made progress. No way were we going to try to step a 52' keel-stepped mast ourselves.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Current

Good idea about going in during a calm current for sure,when we went through with the locks open and close in and out of the locks was not a problem so call the locks and check when open and close.
Another time going through with our jet skis the sign said 5 mph and no way we could only do 5 mph with these big 50 ' sport fishing boats coming in and out at full speed and we had to do the same thing at 20 plus speed and my wife on her own jetskis was freaking out and screaming at me she was so nervous and our jetskis were pretty much wide open to keep up with the flow of the current and watching to stay away from these wide open fishing boats.
Check for open and closing of the locks for sure and thanks Ed I forgot about the current,it must have been 98 0r 99 because my seadoo's were 98 models and after selling our Hobie 18 and jetskis purchosed our Hunter 290 in 2001
Nick

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Bring your own tackle - their stuff isn't that great.. I've done a Ranger 26 and C&C 28 with no real problems. Go thru the canal when the locks are closed. Your boat may not be able to make progress against the current when their open Have anchor ready

Jan 26, 2009
HUNTER 340 Raritan Yacht Club
shinnecock canal

Been through the canal many times in my Venture 25 (MacGregor). I raised and lowered the mast by hand. Needed 4 hands to do the job.

As far as the canal is concerned, the current going thru is extremely swift and dangerous. Make sure you time the run when the current is at its slowest otherwise you will loose control of the boat.

I missed the timing once and the current was running about 4 knots pushing me. Very scary.

Of course the best passage is when the locks are operating.

I'm assuming your sailing into Peconic Bay. I sailed that bay for about 12 summers. Its a great sailing area, ENJOY.

Its a shame that they don't have the bridges high enough or bridges that open Because thats the only way to get into the bays without going around.

Bill
ESPA
1969 Morgan 30

Sep 20, 2011
Tanzer 25 25 peconic bay
did the trip yesterday. took down the mast solo.crane is in good condition and pretty easy to do.was able to complete my trip back to the home port in center moriches.6knts 7 hrs,long day

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Great

Glad everything went well,yes I wish the bridge opened or higher but why spend all that money for sailors.
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.