Shifter stuck in forward on my Yanmar 2GMF

Mar 25, 2014
Hunter 31 St Pete
My shifter occasionally get stuck in forward. It easy to get out of gear by working the leaver at the transmission while someone works the shifter at the helm. Has anyone had this same issue and what's the fix?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
OK, disconnect the shifter linkage at the transmission and work the transmission lever by hand; Is it still sticking? If yes it is a transmission issue, but if no it is a linkage issue probably resolved with a replacement cable.

Mar 25, 2014
Hunter 31 St Pete
Thanks Benny17441, I'm thinking it's a linkage issue. It only happens occasionally but lately more often. I am able to operate the lever at the transmission.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
+ 1 with Benny. You say you can operate the lever at the tranny. My suggestion would be to disconnect the cable at the tranny and operate the transmission lever at the pedestal to see if if works correctly. Your boat is an 84 so your pedestal is probably the old Merriman Yacht Specialty with two levers (tranny on the port side of pedestal). Remove the compass and take a look at the connection of the cable to the control lever. I have had mine come loose and therefore slip and not engage the tranny. Simple to retighten. Good luck

Last edited: