Shifter Replacement

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Thanks in HUGE part to Steve's diligence, we do.

For those of you who haven't run into this particular brick wall yet, this is a big deal. Teleflex quit making the MV-2 some years ago so there are no replacements and no parts available. Their MV-3 design didn't really work for this application, although with a chainsaw and nail gun you could probably get it stuck to the pedestal.

This conversion is slick, pretty easy, and effective. Big kudos to Steve for pushing this issue until he found a solution.

MV-2 replacement part:

http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/searchres.php?kw=shifter replacement&o=0&o1=0

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Steve; kudos! Why Teleflex didn't make a drop in replacement is totally beyond me given how ubiquitous this is around the world. Anyhow, what do you think of the construction and ease of use? Did you have to modify any cables? Regardless, great catch!

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Nice Job Steve!

Did your old shifter break? That could be a disaster if you were docking or underway.

My shifter takes the strength of a mule to change gears. Does the new model work smoother?

Thanks,

Mike

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
We have not attached the cables yet. We are planning on doing it this weekend or next (depending on time).

The reason I am replacing the MV-2 is because my wife said, "I ain't no mule" :)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I was looking at this post very hard as my shifter is a real pain. I noticed a sticker on the new shifter that it does not provide start up in gear protection as required by the USCG. So is there no neutral start unless in the idle position?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
There's a neutral button in axle of the throttle lever. It works like the old one but the button is just integrated.

Dec 2, 1999
David:

The purpose of the replacement was so my crew (specifically the Admiral) could shift the boat in/out of gear. I was used to it and it was not an issue for me. Like Mike H mentioned above "My shifter takes the strength of a mule to change gears" and ours was the same.

We did not make it to the marina this weekend but we should know now it works by Saturday afternoon and I will be making a report and the completed photos.

The refit was actually not bad the hookup of the cables may be a bigger deal (to be determined).

Jan 21, 2013
Hunter 40.5 Anna Marie Island
Steve thanks for the update look forward to seeing your post on "Throttle Creep"

Many thanks, David

Jan 21, 2013
Hunter 40.5 Anna Marie Island
David:

The purpose of the replacement was so my crew (specifically the Admiral) could shift the boat in/out of gear. I was used to it and it was not an issue for me. Like Mike H mentioned above "My shifter takes the strength of a mule to change gears" and ours was the same.

We did not make it to the marina this weekend but we should know now it works by Saturday afternoon and I will be making a report and the completed photos.

The refit was actually not bad the hookup of the cables may be a bigger deal (to be determined).

Steve is there a link or instructions on how to fit the throttle brake shown in your reply??

Dec 2, 1999
David:

Actually I think that the photo is wrong. The head of the bolt should be on the inside of the "J" and the nut is used to LOCK the bolt in place.

Phil is looking for the photos of the device installed on a cable, but it is actually self explanatory once you have it in hand.

You should only apply as much pressure that is required to keep the throttle in the correct position. If it is too tight it may be difficult to move the throttle. If it is too loose it will continue to slip.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=267&cat_id=75&aid=6703&page=article&mn=33

Try this!