Shifter Cable & Throttle Cable 88' 28.5 Hunter

Apr 25, 2014
Hunter 28.5 Biloxi, MS
Just snapped my shifter cable and I may as well replace the throttle cable.

Let me know if anyone has done this repair and if there are lengths or P/N you could share?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Contact the folks on this website. They probably have the cables in stock.

Jim L

Jun 13, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Kemah, Texas
Yep last summer. The throttle is11 ft,shift 1 ft longer. The hardest part of the job was getting the Throttle cable back into the retaining clip in the pedistel.

Jan 28, 2020
hunter 28.5 apollo beach
Hello, I had a problem too with my cable retainer that holds the new cable in place in the pedestal. upon inspection it was missing from the pedestal on the starboard side. apparently someone worked on it once and didn't put it back in and just closed it up. afterwards the steering got sloppy so i/replaced the cable and then i recognized that the retainer was missing. anyone know how to get a replacement?

Jan 28, 2020
hunter 28.5 apollo beach
Yep last summer. The throttle is11 ft,shift 1 ft longer. The hardest part of the job was getting the Throttle cable back into the retaining clip in the pedistel.
Could you show me what the clip looks like. I had the cable installed and then found out that it wasn't threaded in the clip as you say. It's because the clip was missing. The mechanic didn't affix the cable to anything that would stabilize it so now I have cable creep. I want to see if I can fix it. Someone said a zip tie on a block would work and that it could be a simple fix. Thankyou Jeanie

Nov 14, 2019
O'Day 28 full keel Cave Run Marina
Could you show me what the clip looks like. I had the cable installed and then found out that it wasn't threaded in the clip as you say. It's because the clip was missing. The mechanic didn't affix the cable to anything that would stabilize it so now I have cable creep. I want to see if I can fix it. Someone said a zip tie on a block would work and that it could be a simple fix. Thankyou Jeanie
I did both cables on my 1985 O'DAY 28 last fall. My pedestal is an Edson and if yours is also, call them and they can guide you through it. The clip is essential and while it's not easy to insert and place, it's not impossible either. I may have some pictures I can send you but I'd suggest you start with Edson. I bought cables and clips from them directly.

Jan 28, 2020
hunter 28.5 apollo beach
Yes please send a picture and a contact person at Edison if you know one. Glad it worked out for you! Jeanie

Nov 14, 2019
O'Day 28 full keel Cave Run Marina
I talked to both Ken Martin and Reed Austin at Edson, at 508-995-9711. They will give you tips and will refer you to diagrams on their website. I will send pictures when I get a chance.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It was Edson steering on your boat. Do not forget to order the long cotter pin and white retaining cover plastic nut.

Running the cables thru the pedestal base can be tricky. Take off end fittings and run them thru small tubes guiding the cable ends thru the pedestal base holes

Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
My shifter cable snapped on my '92 335. I hired out the job, but he talked me through what he did. He removed the pedestal entirely to simplify the job. He then took the throttle/shift cables to a chandlery to get custom lengths cut and swaged to the correct lengths. It took them maybe half a day to get all the parts together and were of minimal cost.