Sherwood Raw Water Pump Leak

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
My later model Sherwood raw water pump on my Universal 5411 started leaking after I replaced the impeller. It wasn't leaking at all before the replacement and it's not overheating and still pumps water but the leak bothers me even on fresh water. I've removed the pump cover several times to make sure that the o ring and paper gasket look ok but it still leaks. I know from reading old posts everyone hates the Sherwood pumps and likes the Oberdorfers but I'd like to fix this one if possible. I'm not sure how I screwed this up if anyone has any ideas.

Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cke6ydQv2dQ

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
That is the weep hole you see the water dripping from.

It looks as if the mechanical seal of the pump decided to fail at the same time that you replaced the impeller. If you can locate an exploded view of your pump model, it will explain this much more clearly.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
I ordered a new Oberdorfer from Depco Pump and decided not fix the Sherwood. They were very helpful with identifying the existing pump and a correct replacement for it. Unfortunately, I had to get the version that is machined as a direct replacement for the later-model Sherwood so no modifications should be needed which is more expensive. I forgot to ask Depco if the new one comes with the gasket between the pump and the engine.

Attachments