Sheet Winches 1968 31' Seafarer 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Seafarer 31' Seafarer 31 Barlows Boat Yard, Pocasset
Is the socket on the old Barlow and Barrient winches the same size as the winches today?

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Another question. Have you found that all Barlow winches use the same pawl springs? The same pawls?

Do Barient and Barlow winches use the same springs and pawls?

I sent a message to the Australian Yacht Winch Company, the company that bought the inventory of Barient and Barlow, to see what they have in the way of parts. Have you done any business with them?

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
I answered part of my question. Looking at specs for a number of different Barlow winches I see see the springs and pawls for all have the same part number.

Spring 01-300 and Pawl 01-400.

Still wondering if Barient and Barlow parts interchangeable.

West Marine has repair kits for Barient, one is 10 springs for $9+. I'd like to know if they would work on the Barlow

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...gclid=CM-z4qvHh7gCFVGi4AodXBgA1w#.Uc3tgZyDmVY

Good news, maybe. On a Ericson yacht forum I found this:

that years before many of our Ericson's were even built (I don't know the exact date), the winch industry got together to agree on a size and shape standard for all pawls and pawl springs regardless of brand. Kind of like what happened a century or so ago in the US regarding train track standards or with modern automotive rim diameteres today.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Barlow Parts From Australian Yacht Winch Company

This company bought entire inventory from Barlow/Barient when they went out of business.

I sent them a message to see if I could buy pawl springs for my Barlow 15 winches. The part number is 01-300 and the same springs are used by many other Barlow winches.

They have them, but shipping costs more than the springs. However, this may be the only source. From their message:

20-01-300 springs $20.00
Insured air mail $35.00
Total $55.00

When ordering send credit card details via 2 emails, 12 numbers followed by the remaining numbers, exp date and delivery address.

Note: The above quote sent by:

"Allen Hutton @ Australian Yacht winch Co" <winches@attglobal.net>

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
Fortunately, most of today's winches have a standardized socket so handle are fairly generic. Here's a very good West Marine video info on winch handle selection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GitTRA6KTTY

And here's the link for winch handles from West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...Type=SimpleSearch&viewTaskName=SiteSearchView

I like the One-touch handle but they are a little pricey. I've also used the basic Titan Floating Winch handle for 12 years and it's worked fine. I'd suggest having an 8" and 10" for different sailing conditions or different strength levels of the crew.

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
Yes, I'd seen that previously. They are the people who gave me the quote for Barlow springs.

I've sent them a message asking if same springs can be used on Barient winches.

Have you bought any pawl springs for your Barlow winches?
No, not yet. I have Barient and Barlow winches on my boat and they work fine. But, I've had the boat for 13 years and never serviced them for fear that I'd beak or loose a part. Basically, I've subscribed to "if it ain't broken, leave it alone."

Reality is that sooner or later there will be a problem. That's why I've bought spare winches on eBay. I plan to service the spare winches and then swap them out with the winches currently on the boat. This way I won't be disassembling and cleaning parts within inches of falling overboard.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Barient Springs On Barlow Winches

I found confirmation that Lewmar/Barient springs work on Barlow winches on another forum:

"Lewmar springs work with Barlow winches, I know that, but their pawls work less well.

I second the advice to go directly to Arco-Hutton and not to experiment with Lewmar stuff...unless it's just a pawl spring.

Both Barient and Barlow were quality gear: I just serviced my 40 year old Barlow 26 sheet and halyard winches and they are still in great shape."

Found this is another thread on same forum:

" I believe Barlow and Barient pawls are interchangeable. Pawl springs are basically the same for all winches, they just need to be bent a little this way or that to make them work." __________________

Status
Not open for further replies.