Sheet sizes for 25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
For an O Day 25. Anyone know off the top of their head, the diameter and length jib sheets for a 135% Jenny. Also diameter and length of the main sheets? Ernie

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Looks like 5/16 to me. Why would the main sheet ever be bigger than the genoa sheet?

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
main sheet

Looks like 5/16 to me. Why would the main sheet ever be bigger than the genoa sheet?
The line on the chart shows 3/8 for main sheet.

The main halyard holds the sail up which attached to the mast. The slugs absorb much of the tension.

The main sheet has to be able to handle the tension created by gust. And hold the boom down during the gust and wind. And there are probably other reasons. Guys who race probably can give better technical answers.

Fair zephyrs,

Ed K

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
The main sheet is on a 4/1 setup, reducing the load on the line. How the heck are you going to get 7/16 line to run through all blocks on a Oday 25? Did you have 7/16 line for your main sheet on your 26? Let me check the chart again. Dang, it still says 5/16. LOL. Which listing are you looking at Ed? He's asking about an Oday 25.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
O'Day 25 Shoal Mainsheet listing

The main sheet is on a 4/1 setup, reducing the load on the line. How the heck are you going to get 7/16 line to run through all blocks on a Oday 25? Did you have 7/16 line for your main sheet on your 26? Let me check the chart again. Dang, it still says 5/16. LOL. Which listing are you looking at Ed? He's asking about an Oday 25.
- - - - // - - - -

Rich,

I am looking at listing for O'Day 25 Shoal Draft
'Mainsheet' listing. Use plastic ruler to follow
mainsheet listing over and second plastic ruler
to follow down.

I see 3/8 inch as thickness.

Maybe Joe or Keith can read the chart and
tell us. We need third party referee!!!

Ed K

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
By golly I'm chagrined, now that you circled it I see it's 3/8. Someone needs to provide a copy that's not listing.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
line listing

By golly I'm chagrined, now that you circled it I see it's 3/8. Someone needs to provide a copy that's not listing.
- - - - // - - - -

Rich,

That last copy is probably better than the one that is in Captain Herrings on line file.

Years ago, probably before I officially joined this forum, some one posted a good copy to the forum. I saved a copy.

Over time the original was electronically lost in the deep.

No one has ever posted a good original for Capt Herring to put in the files.

Somewhere there must a good copy. Or someone with the time to just retype...

Keep in mind that since that was written, there have been technical improvements made to making line. There are thinner lines that are stronger and more abrasion resistant therefore thinner lines could be used, except for 'hand'.

I hope the original poster enjoyed the discussion.

Ed K
"I do not live to sail, but I sail in order that I may live, and return with greater zest to the labor of life."

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
When it comes to running rigging on our boats, often times the specified diameter of the line is not so much due to the needed strength, but due to the "feel", in other words..... on a boat where you may often be adjusting the line (thinking mostly of Jib sheets or Main sheets) we often go up a size to have a line that is easier to comfortably grip in the hand. I could probably almost get by with 3/16" line for the mainsheet on my DS II (strength-wise) but use 3/8" to allow a more comfortable grip.

One caution, don't use a line size bigger than the capacity of the sheaves.

BTW: I haven't retyped the specs for all the listed boats, but have retyped the 25 for my Manual. as always..."your mileage may vary"

O’DAY 25

Running Rigging Specs.
All Lengths and specifications are approximate and are subject to change without notice

Main Halyard (rope) 5/16” x 59’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 64’ (Keel)

Jib Halyard (rope) 5/16” x 60’4” (K/CB)
5/16” x 63’4” (Keel)

Mainsheet 3/8” x 40’

Jib Sheet 3/8” x 48’ (24’ x 2)

Mainsail Outhaul ¼” x 9’

Boom Downhaul ¼” x 4’

Topping Lift (rope) ¼” x 31’ (K/CB)
¼” x 33’ (Keel)

Centerboard Pendant (need to find this)

Rigging specs for optional sails

Spinnaker Halyard 5/16” x 67’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 71’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Pole Lift 5/16” x 43’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 45’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Pole Downhaul 5/16” 30’ (K/CB)
5.16’ x 31’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Sheets 5/16” x 48’ (2)

Genoa Sheets 3/8” x 60’ (30’ x 2)

All running rigging is typically double-braid Dacron (Polyester) rope

Standing Rigging Specs.

Headstay 5/32” x 30’10” (K/CB)
5/32” x 32’10” (Keel)

Upper Shroud 5/32” x 28’9” (K/CB)
5/32” x 30’ 9” (Keel)

Lower Shroud 5/32” x 25’8 ½” (K/CB)
5/32” x 16’8” (Keel)

Backstay 5/32” x 32’8 ¼” (K/CB)
5/32” x 34’8” (Keel)

All Standing rigging is SS 1x19 type wire and lengths are with turnbuckle (where applicable) closed, from eye to eye (most riggers measure with turnbuckles half-closed, so be sure to note this and/or bring old rigging to rigger to measure for replacement)

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Sunbird

When it comes to running rigging on our boats, often times the specified diameter of the line is not so much due to the needed strength, but due to the "feel", in other words..... on a boat where you may often be adjusting the line (thinking mostly of Jib sheets or Main sheets) we often go up a size to have a line that is easier to comfortably grip in the hand. I could probably almost get by with 3/16" line for the mainsheet on my DS II (strength-wise) but use 3/8" to allow a more comfortable grip.

One caution, don't use a line size bigger than the capacity of the sheaves.

BTW: I haven't retyped the specs for all the listed boats, but have retyped the 25 for my Manual. as always..."your mileage may vary"

O’DAY 25

Running Rigging Specs.

All Lengths and specifications are approximate and are subject to change without notice

Main Halyard (rope) 5/16” x 59’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 64’ (Keel)

Jib Halyard (rope) 5/16” x 60’4” (K/CB)
5/16” x 63’4” (Keel)

Mainsheet 3/8” x 40’

Jib Sheet 3/8” x 48’ (24’ x 2)

Mainsail Outhaul ¼” x 9’

Boom Downhaul ¼” x 4’

Topping Lift (rope) ¼” x 31’ (K/CB)
¼” x 33’ (Keel)

Centerboard Pendant (need to find this)

Rigging specs for optional sails

Spinnaker Halyard 5/16” x 67’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 71’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Pole Lift 5/16” x 43’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 45’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Pole Downhaul 5/16” 30’ (K/CB)
5.16’ x 31’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Sheets 5/16” x 48’ (2)

Genoa Sheets 3/8” x 60’ (30’ x 2)

All running rigging is typically double-braid Dacron (Polyester) rope

Standing Rigging Specs.

Headstay 5/32” x 30’10” (K/CB)
5/32” x 32’10” (Keel)

Upper Shroud 5/32” x 28’9” (K/CB)
5/32” x 30’ 9” (Keel)

Lower Shroud 5/32” x 25’8 ½” (K/CB)
5/32” x 16’8” (Keel)

Backstay 5/32” x 32’8 ¼” (K/CB)
5/32” x 34’8” (Keel)

All Standing rigging is SS 1x19 type wire and lengths are with turnbuckle (where applicable) closed, from eye to eye (most riggers measure with turnbuckles half-closed, so be sure to note this and/or bring old rigging to rigger to measure for replacement)
- - - - // - - - -

Sunbird,

First, I thank you for your typing work.

Second, send copy to Capt Phil Herring to put into model information page of web site.

Third, you said, "When it comes to running rigging on our boats, often times the specified diameter of the line is not so much due to the needed strength, but due to the "feel", in other words..... on a boat where you may often be adjusting the line (thinking mostly of Jib sheets or Main sheets) we often go up a size to have a line that is easier to comfortably grip in the hand."

Note that I said, "There are thinner lines that are stronger and more abrasion resistant therefore thinner lines could be used, except for 'hand'.

I believe that 'hand' is the nautical term whereas 'feel' has other meanings.

Again, thank you for your work and post. Now if you will finish the chart?

Ed K

If a farmer has 5 haystacks in one field and 4 haystacks in the
other field, how many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in
another field?
Answer: One. If he combines all of his haystacks, they all become one
big stack.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Guys - Lets not fight. I think I got the info that I needed and I thank you all. Ernie

Jun 2, 2004
Ernie, I took no offense to Ed K's post. In my defense..... I was not trying to correct anyone (and in fact missed seeing Ed's comment about "hand", if I had..... I wouldn't have added that advice in my post), just passing on some "old salt" advice. Better to have 2 people mention that advice than for no one to mention it. Oh, and yes, Ed........ "hand" is the term that I should have used........ guess I'm off my game, even with the mild Winter we're having here in New England, Winter is always too long away from sailing. Thank you for correcting me..... proves that I'm not perfect and I appreciate that.

I'll see about retyping the rest of that chart soon!

Jun 2, 2004
I have finished retyping that list, actually ended up breaking it down by boat model. Separate page for each boat. I also rounded some of the running rigging lengths up to nearest 1 ft. on some. They aren't perfect, since it reflects the 1979 data it doesn't cover the earlier or later rigging of some models (mainsheet on Javelin, DS II, R19 and MARINER changed in 1974) like the fact that 1980-83 22 had a taller rig, and the CB pendant specs aren't there (working on that!). Obviously the Specs for the DS II and Widgeon are more complete, since I have a DS II and used to have a Widgeon.

I'll try to get them posted soon on the pages for Boat Data.

Status
Not open for further replies.