Sheave/ Block preferred lubes

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi;

My boom and mast sheaves have started screaming; time to re-lubricate.
Any preferences for lube for metal shaves and blocks and what lube for plastic (Delrin) blocks?

Thanks. Ilan

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Only use One drop in the bearings. This was recommended by a rep from McLube who make both Sailkote and Onedrop.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
OneDrop if it rolls, Sailcote if it slides (or needs to be made water repellent.)

The problem with Sailcote on balls is that it can make them skid instead of roll. Travellers (linear recirculating bearings) Harken changed their advice on this about 8 years ago. This problem was first discovered by folks trying to use graphite on high temperature bearings.

And they mean the bit about "one drop."

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Does sailkote also work well on sail slugs (slides).
I applied it to the slot and the slugs last spring before I stepped the mast. First I cleaned the slot. Made a big difference raising and lowering the sail last season. I will probably hit the slugs again when I bend the main on in the spring.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Sailkote, never leave dock without it! Its that good :)
I agree with all that was said so far about this dry lube. Other uses:
  • Helps reduce friction when pulling wire through mast or interior conduit
  • Stops squeaking parts (e.g. boom attachment to mast)
  • Makes snaps and zippers on canvas work better without staining canvas or attracting dirt
  • Make skis and sleds slide about 30% better on snow (your kids will consider it their secret weapon, I used to have all my kids’ friends ask me to spray their sleds)