She was promoted...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My wife does not really share my passion for sailing, but she will go out on a nice day (light winds, lots of sun, and flat water). We sail on the south end of Lake Michigan.

She really does not like to heel, and she is generally no help docking.

But today she helped cast off a line, hung in there on a 15-degree heel in a slight chop, and even grabbed the spring line when we came back to the dock!

We got in about 11nm, at a top speed of 6.9 knots, and had a really nice sail.

I promoted her from Admiral to First Mate today for a job well done!

IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

Greg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
They come aboard as deck fluff, then become the admiral. In time they move on up to first mate. And with luck and patience you end up with the perfect mate. Gotta love 'em.

Jan 7, 2011
I don't know about that. There's an ulterior motive in there somewhere. Let's see. What could it be? Oh, how was the mall?
Ha ha. My ulterior motive was to soften her up for a bigger boat....But then I bought this toy...IMG_1131.JPGIMG_1152.JPG

First Mate looks good in both of them

Greg

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Ha ha. My ulterior motive..,
Greg
Ahem. I'm saying that *she* is the one with the ulterior motive. And just so you won't think I'm picking on your wife, I'm asserting that all women work that way.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Ahem. I'm saying that *she* is the one with the ulterior motive. And just so you won't think I'm picking on your wife, I'm asserting that all women work that way.
I wonder what my wife's ulterior motive was on this day?
Nikki's hang out b (2).jpg

She doesn't care about clothes, wear make up or like shoes. She hates malls and shopping.
Dinner out? You got it honey, any time.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My wife's favorite mall is a West Marine superstore. I can actually get away with buying her things like self-tailing winches or a Sailrite sewing machine for Christmas and birthday gifts. hehehehehe :biggrin:

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
My beautiful bride was a great first mate on our Catalina 30 on the coast of Maine. Then one day the wind got up suddenly causing some major heeling and that was that. Things are a bit calmer here on Lake Pleasant, AZ, and the O'Day is rigged for fast reefing so I have my hopes but I'm not pushing it. So far it's just been a nice lunch in the cockpit while in the slip.
BTW, enjoyed your nice tour of your boat on uTube, Tally Ho.
Cheers! Alastair.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I don't know about that. There's an ulterior motive in there somewhere. Let's see. What could it be? Oh, how was the mall?
Had a GF years ago that told me that for every day she spent sailing with me, I was required to spend a day at the mall with her. We can all figure out how that ended. I still have the boat. :)

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
DSCF0028.jpg
My First Mate gets seasick. Not slightly seasick but the toe-curling hurling over the leeward lifelines seasick. So what does she suggest? Let's sail from Pensacola to Key West and on to Bimini. Would have been nice but we missed the weather window for her style of sailing. So we ended up driving to Key West, instead. Mainly because although I love sailing, I love my wife more. So we sail her way. But she sails with me.

And she helps a lot on the boat. I remember changing the fuel filter one day at the slip. Miserable, hot, humid. The next thing I know the companionway ladder and engine cover are coming off inside the boat. The First Mate says "You look like you could use the A/C." And the cool air felt wonderful.

Yeah, I'll keep her.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
View attachment 138263 My First Mate gets seasick. Not slightly seasick but the toe-curling hurling over the leeward lifelines seasick. So what does she suggest? Let's sail from Pensacola to Key West and on to Bimini. Would have been nice but we missed the weather window for her style of sailing. So we ended up driving to Key West, instead. Mainly because although I love sailing, I love my wife more. So we sail her way. But she sails with me.

And she helps a lot on the boat. I remember changing the fuel filter one day at the slip. Miserable, hot, humid. The next thing I know the companionway ladder and engine cover are coming off inside the boat. The First Mate says "You look like you could use the A/C." And the cool air felt wonderful.

Yeah, I'll keep her.
LOL I remember the first test sail when you bought the 21. She was VERY sick, and kept smiling- She is definitely a keeper

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Cindy used to get very "anxious " when the boat would heel beyond 15 degrees. Now she gets a kick out of burying the rail. She just smiles and says that the windows needed washed.
We reef early and often to try to keep the boat as up right as possible but Cindy now understands there will always be a puff or two you cant plan for and you just have to hang on for the ride.
Like my shirt says. I love sailing, but I love sailing with my wife more!

Sam

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
I caught your drift, but luckily for me, my wife is a pretty cheap date.

I took her to Maui for our anniversary a few years ago (In February) and that has now become an annual event. But she won't get rid of her old minivan "because it still runs and is paid for".

Got to love a wife like that

Greg