Share any S2 upgrades & projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
NE rigging was talking 1500 for rerigging my boat too...until they informed me that I should replace my perfectly functioning hood seagull too...with a Haarken for only another 5k installed.

It is easy to rerig a boat with the mast down and it needs maintenance too. So I will wait and do it later. I did replace the kinked backstay, which was damaged by the yard because the turnbuckle wasn't operation smoothly and they apparently didn't take the time to grab a second wrench. I should, and recommend to all, to replace their boats closed turnbuckles. They are hard to inspect and prone to crevice corrosion.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I should, and recommend to all, to replace their boats closed turnbuckles. They are hard to inspect and prone to crevice corrosion.
and one more reason is that the closed turnbuckels are ss on ss and if you replace with open ones they should be bronze bodys ...as with ss on ss it will gauld and become hard to adjust...very little history of bronze on ss gaulding...this was pointed out to me by Ken at SECO South....

regards

woody

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Close-body turnbuckles

I agree with woody, and for an additional reason: We had them on our C25. One day a dockmate came back with a story where his forestay failed in heavy winds, 'cuz the close body turnbuckles at deck level had failed on his Islander Bahama 24. This skipper was fastidious and had really tricked out his boat. The next week I brought my boat in for a standing rigging replacement, planned earlier but accelerated by his experience. When the rigger turned the turnbuckle on our backstay, it DISINTEGRATED!!! :eek::eek::eek:

The rigger said: "One more sail on this boat with that turnbuckle would have created a sure failure."

Those close body tunbuckles rot from the inside out.

I strongly urge replacement asap with open body turnbuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.