Shape of fin keel

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 33 (Cherubini) Poughkeepsie
Hi Folks, I had an issue when I hauled my 1980 hunter cherubini 33 last Fall because I assumed my keel fin
looked like the one on sailboatdata https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-33
The rest of the boat does indeed look like that, but the keel fin does not. It looks like this the photos below.
It caused some trouble with the boat lift belts placement, but nothing major. Is this a very common
fin shape and are there are consequences of it (other than belt placement...) that I should remember?
thanks for any feedback!
Damian

00n0n_aqZBqDPHRRc_600x450.jpg
IMG_1491.JPG

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi Folks, I had an issue when I hauled my 1980 hunter cherubini 33 last Fall because I assumed my keel fin
looked like the one on sailboatdata https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-33
The rest of the boat does indeed look like that, but the keel fin does not. It looks like this the photos below.
It caused some trouble with the boat lift belts placement, but nothing major. Is this a very common
fin shape and are there are consequences of it (other than belt placement...) that I should remember?
thanks for any feedback!
Damian

View attachment 180389View attachment 180390
Now that you have her out, put some labels or marks where the sling belts should be placed....in a place that is visible when getting into the travel lift.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You'd like to believe that the Travellift operators would know how to lift your boat. But, naw. Even with the labels, life operators routinely ignore those marks. How do I know? You can see the strap marks on the bottom after hauling. If they didn't drop the boat while lifting and getting it up on stands, breath a sigh of relief. One story to the contrary. A friend with a R23 which after a tropical storm was flooded had the boat hauled. Unfortunately, they lifted the boat without pumping water out and the boat essentially broke in half. Nice.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The guys at my yard at least try to come close to the sling labels when they move me. A bit more trial and error when hauling out as I have to try to get the boat into the well and hold position somewhat while they are trying to “catch“ me with the bow sling and then raise the stern sling...

Usually OK unless we have a strong cross wind....and I am usually hauling out or putting in by myself.

Greg

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
You'd like to believe that the Travellift operators would know how to lift your boat. But, naw. Even with the labels, life operators routinely ignore those marks. How do I know? You can see the strap marks on the bottom after hauling. If they didn't drop the boat while lifting and getting it up on stands, breath a sigh of relief. One story to the contrary. A friend with a R23 which after a tropical storm was flooded had the boat hauled. Unfortunately, they lifted the boat without pumping water out and the boat essentially broke in half. Nice.
Every fall my H30 gets lifted out without me being in attendance, and I receive a phone call from the boatyard that it’s been complete. Soon after, I take a ride up to the lake to put a cover on for winter storage. This year when I arrived, what was observed we’re two large strap scratches on port and starboard freeboards. I guess that a sigh of relief was in order since there was no significant trauma to the hull, keel, or rudder but that steep angle of the scratch and filth line tells me that a close encounter with disaster loomed heavily on the travel lift operator.

30802008-FC38-4FE1-B3F2-80A0C4DC24D2.jpeg

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 33 (Cherubini) Poughkeepsie
Yeah, in the diagram on the data sheet you see a dashed outline of a keel shape.
That's the shoal draft profile.
Argh, you are right of course. I can't believe I didn't actually measure the draft until now and
its clearly the shoal draft number. What confused me is that the rudder must be smaller too
or it would extend below the keel, which it doesn't. Thank you folks.