Shallow water sailboats lifting centerboards and lifting rudder

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Im going to be moving to Pine Island area Saint James and wonder who is sailing some
shallow water boats like this there. I have seen some groups sailing to Cayo Costa Island on Youtube. Im going to be looking for a boat in the future for this type of sailing and will use
my ham radio on some of the islands I explore too. I will be looking for people when I get property there. Sharpies are cool boats too that I could beach. I like the old Santana 23D
too. Is anyone building sharpies in the area there???

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello videorov,
Pine Island is a great place to sail. From St James City there is good access to the ICW between Pine Island and Sanibel/Captiva although there is often a steady herd of boat traffic through those protected waters. Plenty of area for a small boat to sail in the wide spots. Bokeelia, on the other end of Pine Island, has a good County launch ramp with good parking for trailers after launching. There is a distance to be traveled in canals no matter which end of the island you choose. Therefore, a small outboard would be useful or perhaps oars of some sort. (Unless, of course, your canal-sailing skills are very good.)

We have seen quite a few trailered sailboats at the Bokeelia ramp. People often leave from there to day sail, camp, or anchor in the area, including Cayo Costa. From the Bokeelia end of the island you have access to Charlotte Harbor which we enjoyed as our "nearly private" sailing area for ten winters. In the past low tide still allowed about 3 feet of depth at the shallow areas. That may have changed. The ICW traffic on that end of the island is concentrated on the far side of the harbor and nearer to Boca Grande.

I'll send you a PM with contact information for an active sailing club in the area.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Yes Im going to buy in Saint James on the water with lift so will go out the south end of Saint James. In the past I have taken my 17ft fishing boat there. I sold that and my other 23ft Cat fishing boat. Im going to be just sailing when I move there
on the water. Just something around 23ft maybe a Santanna 23D or a Sharpie type boat so I can beach it. Thanks for the info.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Yes Hake Marine makes some nice boats. Im not sure I want something that big. I have had larger boats in the past.
They are pretty nice boats and I guess you can still get parts for them???

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
If you are looking at newer boats, TES 720BT (around 23ft) available in Canada would be a good shallow-draft candidate, capable of sailing in 20kt of wind under full sails. Older ones, with favourable US exchange rate, could fit your desired budget. It can be beached and offers excellent overnight accommodations.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Will check out the TES 720BT. I haven't seen those. The Presto 30 was a neat boat but the price was to high and the company went out of business.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
FB_IMG_1496514851926.jpg attachment-0004.jpg For about 10 years I used to trailer my Rhodes 22 down to that area for 7-10 day sailing trips. Launched typically in Punta Gorda and then sailed to all the usual spots like Pelican Bay, Boca Grande, Captiva and Sanibel. Keel/centerboard arrangement works well down there - my Rhodes only drew 20 inches with the board up and I still managed to find the bottom. Check out the R-22... mine was fully loaded and attached are some pictures of it - most of these are actually from Boca Grande. Eventually I will take my current boat down there and it draws 5 feet so that will be interesting.
bob

Attachments

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
You will have to watch it with the 5ft draft yikes. The Gemini Cat is great for shallow water too but not sure I want to
go that large.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Been very happy with the older displacement hull Macgregor 26S. Centerboard and rudder both kick up and the boat floats in less than 20 inches of water (if you don't add everything I have) and ...........

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2017 Lake Powell-Hite/Lake Po-Hite-Page-8.html

............. beaches very easily,

Sumner
===============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Check out Precisions. They make an 18 foot, 21 foot and a 23 foot, all with retractable rudder and a centerboard, and varying degrees of living accommodations. We've owned our 23 for 10 or 12 years and rented on Pine Island - Bokeelia - for 4 years before moving to Burnt Store Marina. We've done 2 week trips with the boat, sailing Lake Erie, Lake Superior, Lake Huron, the Florida Keys, and out to Fort Jefferson.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Interesting top that comes up and I guess it has a poti pot too. Ive been out of saling for a few years. I use to have a 23ft Oday with swing keel years back before I go into fishing boats. For a sailboat this time Im looking for shallow water stuff.

What are people doing for maybe little shower. Ive seen some that are portable for camping, there are some new ideas out there today. Just a little freshen up type:)

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
I made it and now living in Saint James City area. Bought a Core Sound 17 Cat Ketch rig and it will be great for the shallow
water around here. I have to doing some painting of the two freestanding mast that you can pull out and lay down if you want.
I doing a revarnishing job on the Tiller arm right now, just strip the old off. I hope to find someone in the area that knows
about the Core Sound 17 and might be able to help me understand the sailing of this boat. I have always sailed the standard designed sailboats
with one mast and boom like a Oday 23 and J24 etc. I will figure it out slowly. I still have some painting to do but its coming along.
Im also using right now a Hobie Passport 12.0 Kayak with sail and foot pedals. Catching tons of fish with it.
The Core Sound 17 will be my boat for exploring and camping the islands in the area and fishing too. It's draft can be down to 7 inches.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
TES 720BT
I had a look at one in my local marina (near Vancouver, BC) and was quite impressed. There are only about half a dozen or so in Canada, though, so you might have to wait a while before one comes on the market. Actually, now that I think of it, most of the ones in Canada are the 678, which is almost the same boat as the 720 but without the extended stern/swim platform. I've been told that the 720 sails better, especially when heavy, because of the greater buoyancy aft.

I decided to pull out all the stops and buy the new TES 246 Versus, which is slightly bigger but still shallow draft and trailerable. The build quality and components look really good.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
I had a look at one in my local marina (near Vancouver, BC) and was quite impressed. There are only about half a dozen or so in Canada, though, so you might have to wait a while before one comes on the market. Actually, now that I think of it, most of the ones in Canada are the 678, which is almost the same boat as the 720 but without the extended stern/swim platform. I've been told that the 720 sails better, especially when heavy, because of the greater buoyancy aft.

I decided to pull out all the stops and buy the new TES 246 Versus, which is slightly bigger but still shallow draft and trailerable. The build quality and components look really good.
The Core Sound 17 is what I bought. by I wonder if there is a small sailboat club in the area that meets somewhere?
In the Saint James City area or Pine Island area?
  • B&B Yacht Designs

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla

You are not going to sail in 7 inches of water like the Core Sound 17.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Another happy MacGregor 26S owner here. Very shallow draft, easily trailered, decent performance, huge queen-sized berth under cockpit, quarter berth, V-berth, head closet for porta-pottie, mini-galley, pop-top, and good looks to boot!