shallow water sailboat recommendations

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
BUDGET?

I also owed a classic macgregor (88-98) and they sail nicely, and would recommend one. (also have a huge aft berth, unmatched in size, plus decent storage)

But the seaward line is far superior, if you have the budget.
Hunter 260 would be on my short list too.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...I was a long time sailboat dealer located in North Carolina. Without naming it, are you in a gated community with it's own marina and golf course? I sold boats to Hertford, NC and know the area all too well and the Albemarle can be rough at times. Now retired but if you want someone with local knowledge, feel free to send me your phone and good time to call via this forum email.
I've been to that plantation and they have a variety of boats in that marina. The largest were in the mid-thirties. So a draft around 5' must work.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Hunter 260 would be on my short list too.
Mine too but people might get testy with me for recommending a boat that I own, sail and know something about. I do admit that I don't know his area. I really like the idea of seeing what other owners recommend for that particular area.

Feb 16, 2015
MacGregor Venture 222 Yeopium river, hertford Nc
river front property 3ft -5ft depth at pier river is 6ft-15-deep . needs ,overnight accommodations two adults two small Scotty dogs .small galley ,portapotty or head. 19-23 ft length easy sailing . now would you recommend shallow draft keel or swing keel or dual keel. sailing upper Albemarle sound shallow water can get rough quick. any help on mfg or model too look for. do want to be able find parts when needed .any mfg of boats better built? what to stay away from thanks mark
didnt mean to make a stir? :eek:thanks for advice i will look in into some of the mfg mentioned ,no i don't live in the gated golf and marina were in the more modest area across the river I will be installing a lift for the boat the water level can get pulled or blown out and boats set on bottom. type of boat will effect lift type i have seen swing keel that is under hull when up looks like shallow draft fix keel and would make more room in cabin what do think of these will they head up into wind? thank all for input I will do home work with you advice

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Recommend contacting Crazy Dave for advice in your area. Also, when I started looking for a boat one of the more helpful books was "The Complete Trailer Sailor". Even though you are not going to be trailering, it covers the boats in your size range. It also goes over the pros and cons of different configurations such as, shoal keel vs swing keel and water ballasted boats. There is also a helpful section on inspecting a boat you are thinking of buying. Looks like you can pick up a used copy for $1 (not including shipping of course).

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Trai...r=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=guide+to+trailer+sailing

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Mark,
I reread your issues and believe even more that the H260 could work well for you. The previous owner of our boat kept it on a lift that worked by forcing air into the floating part of the lift. My First Mate and I considered having a lift built for ours at another lake but decided against that for reasons that had nothing to do with the boat or its suitability for being lifted. Leaving 2,000 lbs of water ballast in the river should make the 260 perfectly suited for you. My only concern is that with the centerboard down it draws 6'. If that won't be a problem I would consider the H260. It's also easy to trailer. You don't have to always have the centerboard completely down when sailing but you do need to have the ballast tank full of water when sailing.
I hope this helps.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I will second Dave's comments about the periodic rough and breezy nature of the Albemarle Sound, remember this is the windy location that the Wright Brothers picked to test their own aerodynamic lift concepts. I have sailed those shallow waters from one end to the other. Beautiful. If I was picking a boat for this shoal water / windy locale I would look seriously at a catamaran, alternatively a ketch-rigged sharpy like those from B and B Yachts, an Ian Farrier folding tri (rebadged by Corsair), or possibly a Jim Brown Trimaran (SeaRunner). You don't want a boat that drops into the bottom, the mud will hold you and the wind will leave you stranded. If anyplace is multihull country, the Albemarle is that place. Good luck, this is a special cruising ground.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Are looking for a trailer boat or one that stays in the water most of the time?

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
The Sea Pearl 21 goes real shallow like 1ft or less to cross the shallows and save time and not have to stay in the channels. :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
As usual,my vote goes to Precision 23 although on a 4 year old inquiry the decision had most likely been made.