Shallow draft keel H37C

Jun 23, 2020
Island Packet 32 Redwood City harbor, Calif
Greetings,
Any knowledge of sailing characteristics, similarities, differences between the Hunter 37 Cherubini with the normal keel (5 feet draft) and that of the same model with the shallow draft (4 feet?)
Does the one foot deeper draft markedly improve upwind sailing? Does it improve, reduce rolling motion while at anchor?
Appreciate your input,
Pete

Jun 23, 2020
Oh yes, if there earlier threads discussing this topic, please feel free to direct me to such.
Pete

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I can’t speak specifically about the Cherubini 37, but in general, a deeper fin keel will improve upwind performance.

I don’t think a shoal draft will be more or less rolly at anchor. Total ballast vs displacement and hull form are probably bigger factors in rolling at anchor I think.

Greg

Jun 23, 2020
Thanks Greg for your opinions. Yes, I understand that a deeper keel improves upwind sailing. Yet, on this specific boat, the differences between the deep and shallow draft is only a foot, or so. My inquiry has to do with the changes in sailing between a four and five foot draft. How much of an impact could it be?

Possibly, I should simply approach this question with the wisdom I often hear from active sailors: the first sailboat is not necessarily the ideal or final boat; simply, focus on sailing now.
Cheers Peter

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks Greg for your opinions. Yes, I understand that a deeper keel improves upwind sailing. Yet, on this specific boat, the differences between the deep and shallow draft is only a foot, or so. My inquiry has to do with the changes in sailing between a four and five foot draft. How much of an impact could it be?

Possibly, I should simply approach this question with the wisdom I often hear from active sailors: the first sailboat is not necessarily the ideal or final boat; simply, focus on sailing now.
Cheers Peter
Or you can subscribe to the notion that when you find “the perfect boat”, you will know it.;)

But in any case, I do agree…focus on sailing ;-)

Greg