Shaky Tiller

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
Hello,

I took my 82 Catalina 27 out for her last sail of the season today and there was a very noticeable wobbling/vibrating feeling in the tiller when the boat reached 3-4 knots which has never been there before. I jumped in the cold water and checked the rudder for weeds and other junk and didn't feel anything. Any ideas on the cause? It freaked me out a little.

The attached photo was taken in the spring and it is a plastic washer where the rudder meets the bottom of the boat through the rudder shaft. The washer had come loose and I didn't think anything of it and didn't repair it. Again, this photo is several months old and I sailed all summer with no wobbling. Any connection?

Thanks

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The washer is free floating though it may become stuck by paint. I don't know the C-27 but it looks like the rudder has dropped down a bit, you usually don't see as big of a gap. Also the angle between the rudder and the hull looks funny, generally the top of the rudder is is parallel to the hull but it just may be the picture or the design. The rudder should have postive buoyoncy unless it has become water-logged, which will push it up against the hull and close the gap when in the water. I would drop the rudder a bit and check that everything looks good and see if you can tighten up the gap. Vibrations are generally caused by the shape of the rudder, especially the aft end so make sure the rudder looks good when you get it out of the water.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
Thanks so much for things to check over. I was concerned that the rudder was about to fall off because it has been so smooth since I've owned it for 3 years, but it sounds like it just needs some adjustments. It's getting hauled out this week and I'll look it over more. Thanks.