Shakleton Expedition

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
And so we set off across a frozen sea...(at least a mile and a half across a cold Cape Cod bay to Washburn Island)... to honor Shakleton on his birthday.. (Feb. 15) or at least close to his birthday. And we all returned alive (even the dog) and like the famous explorer...even had some left over Shackleton Scotch. May your future sails feel as rewarding, Fair winds my friends and a toast to 2021.

Attachments

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
I "sailed" the tractor and the snow blower up and down the driveway today to honor today's dusting of snow!

RE: your pictures - the dinghy you rowed looks very nautical. Send more pictures of the dinghy and the dog! I hope you did not eat your shoes.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So how was the Shakleton Whisky? I was tempted to try it but it seemed a bit dear for what may be a sales gimmick. How long is it aged?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My wife bought some wisky for her son on his 50th birthday. It was aged 50 years. OMG! It made the perfectly good single malt we were tasting next to it taste like swill. The 50 YO was not a known brand. But it was the best I've ever tasted. It convinced me that time in the barrel is the key. Unfortunately time in the bottle doesn't count. The Shackleton whisky was supplied by either the government or by the distillery (Not likely - we are talking about Scotland here) and was likely not the best they make. Somewhere distilleries in Scotland found the recipe, which isn't rocket science, and based on that made the modern version. I may have to belly up to the inflated price and give it a try. And toast the warrior Shackleton, whose story is just something modern people can't understand. Pain, perseverance and survival.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
I enjoyed the Shakleton whiskey, nice scent, good taste, went down smooth.., moderately priced compared to other whiskey/scotch, I believe around $25, single malts and other blends in local liquor store went up to $90 and a few were cheaper. Then again I couldn't tell a Barolo from a box wine. Here's a sad photo, my daughter saw us off and was worried if the dog would make it...

Attachments

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm thinking the Shackleton Whiskey was meant to be drunk on ice. lol