Shakes Tiller

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
The tiller on my Cat 25 started shaking today whenever I reached about 4 knots. Did it under power and under sail. Weird sensation. Kind of like an old car with worn ball joints and tie rods. Just enough of a shimmy to make it rattle in the gudgeons and shake the autopilot bracket. There’s a little play in the gudgeons but not what I would consider exceeding. They’re not loose on the boat either. No seaweed streamers on the rudder and the tiller handle is tight on the rudder. What gives?

Tom G

Sep 11, 2013
I’m going to pull it out tomorrow and inspect it. It was late when we got back and the skeeters were swarming...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you are lucky you may have just picked up a plastic garbage bag or some other debris.

Sep 11, 2013
I pulled the rudder today and didn’t see anything that would cause it to shake. No plastic bags, seaweed, etc. I leaned it up against the cockpit and kneeled on it and there was no flexing, bending or cracking. I weighed it before I launched the boat in the spring and it weighs the same, 26.8#, and it still floats.
There was, however, what appeared to be tiny blisters, about 1 mm diameter on both sides. The pic doesn’t do justice. Is this a sign of water and intrusion and is that what is causing the shimmy? The rudder was painted with Interprotect 2000 followed by VC17 before launch in May.
I couldn’t duplicate the shaking since sailing conditions were much rougher than before. At speed, I could still feel a minute vibration but not the pronounced shaking previously experienced.
Tom G

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It does not seem like that would be the culprit but since you got nothing else to go with I guess I would pop those blisters and fill/fare and do a test run.
Seems like a mystery.
Is there a chance someone struck your rudder and bent a gudgeon? Maybe the rudder is not hanging plumb by a hair and at speed your keel and rudder are fighting each other.