'Shakedown' Cruise, AKA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
..destruction derby. Well, I took my H40.5 to the (Santa Catalina) island for our first 'real' experience since I've owned her, over Easter week. Great sail with 15/22 knots all the way and 6.0/7.0 over water for 6.5 hours around the backside. Left wife and daughter just in time for 40 knot blow; rain and hail for two days and lots of new awareness by them of 'chafe'. SoCal surprise weather. Lost flag, staff and about a dozen bungee cords. Hole in dinghy. Jib cover shredded. Broke hard vang. Chart plotter failed. One of the four golf cart batteries is bad. So, all in all a wonderful 10 days. (Sorta like owning a British sports car, if you know what I mean.) Great weather when good, good club members there, super sunsets and pure quiet at night and a sky full of stars. All that and I get to help the economy too! Have a good spring! Rick D.

S

steven f

can relate

While delivering my new (used) 33 from Cape Canaveral Fl around to the West coast of florida (six days) we encountered about a dozen severe summer thunder storms. Lost the jib halyard than the jib, starter battery and a lifeline. I have to say that we are a LOT more familiar with out boat in severe weather than before, and she's better prepared now with all new rigging, etc, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.