Shaft Zinc Life Experence

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

L. Youngman

What has been owner's experience with frequency of shaft zinc replacement, for marina locations with shorepower connected when docked? Do galvanic isolators make a difference?

S

Stan Rogacevicz srogacev@holycross.edu

Zinc Replacement

I get a full season Apr. 15 - Oct. 30 from 1 zinc, plugged in to shore power, with no isolator. Stan

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Every year

It's recommended to replace your zincs once a year. I'm sure more often couldn't hurt! LaDonna

L

L. Youngman

LaDonna Bubak

My experience is that 2 shaft zincs last about 8 months, with no galvanic isolator. Does this suggest a galvanic isolator is recommended. 'Tis a nuisance to replace so often. Your thoughts?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Sounds like you have a "hot" marina

It seems strange to me that you have to replace 2 zincs after only 8 months in freshwater (that's an assumption, since you live in Salem). Sounds like a neighbor of yours is shooting off stray electolysis and that's eating up your zincs. A galvanic isolator? I'm guessing that's one of those zinc fish you hang off the back of the boat. The only way those things work is if they're grounded to a bonding plate. The other alternative is to bond every metal thing on the boat, including standing rigging & stanchions. Then you can just hook up the fish to a stanchion. But don't attach it to a stanchion unless they're bonded, otherwise your prop will be cheese in a year! One more alternative is to find another slip. Where's your boat moored? Here's an example: my guy's C30 was in Tomahawk Bay in Portland. He hauled it for a bottom job and then over a year later he hauled it for a survey to sell it. The zincs were like new! If you're in Tomahawk Bay, you might consider moving slips & see if that helps (assuming a neighbor has stray electrolysis). Good luck! LaDonna

B

Bob Teeter

Zinks Life

I had our 1990 C 42 in the same marina as La Donna and went through two hot water heaters before I installed a Zink Saver. I tested the water (with a meter, you can test from the ground wire to the water) and found that there was current flow on almost every row. The water heater was covered by warrenty, but after the second one, Sea Ward (manufacturer of the heater) cut the heater apart and said that our marinia had a problem and no further warrentys would be honored. During this same time period, my zink looked ok and was still ok when we hauled the boat after 4 years in the marina to do the bottom. Another boat in the same marina had their prop badly pited due to not having a zinc on their shaft. The Zink Saver costs about $80 at West Marine and is good insurance. Another thing you can do is to turn off your power at the dock except when you need to charge the system or run a heater. This way you won't have the stray current running through your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.