Shaft Strut Zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Was curious if anyone has installed a zinc on the strut holding the cutlass bearing and shaft. I have had no issues so am inclined to just stick with the two on the shaft, but the boatyard manager recommended that I do it. I see his point that it is somewhat isolated due to the rubber cutlass bearing around the shaft.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I've never had a zinc on the strut itself. I do have one zinc on the prop shaft, and that has worked fine since 2003.

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
No 'potential difference'

...it is somewhat isolated due to the rubber cutlass bearing around the shaft.
Because it is isolated from anything metalic is the reason it isn't vulnerable. It is insulated from the prop shaft by the rubber bearing and is fastened only to the fiberglass hull, so there is no electrical bond and no dissimilar metals to create an electrolosis process. That's why I think it isn't necessary to have an anode on the strut.

I'm not an expert on the subject matter though, so I'll wait anxiously to see what others have to say.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
MarkZ said:
Because it is isolated from anything metalic is the reason it isn't vulnerable. It is insulated from the prop shaft by the rubber bearing and is fastened only to the fiberglass hull, so there is no electrical bond and no dissimilar metals to create an electrolosis process. That's why I think it isn't necessary to have an anode on the strut.

I'm not an expert on the subject matter though, so I'll wait anxiously to see what others have to say.
About to be a new C-310 owner and just completed the survey this weekend! Inspector hit the strut bolts with his little hammer and one was loose and began seeping. His conclusion was that all are corroded and need to be replaced. Prior owner replaced shaft, cutlass bearing and prop last year due to electrolysis. Has anyone seen similar problems with strut bolts?

Assumed unrelated; all bolts for the flange for the rudder shaft were missing or appear sheared. One of the stop cables was pulled loose. I assume this flange retains the bushing. Without the bolts flange only drops down about 1/8 inch. Again, any experience with this? Thanks!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I had a similar experience with the strut bolts. I had owned the boat for about a year and had hauled her out at the marina where I worked, just to clean the bottom. The shop foreman wiggled the strut and said it was loose. We tightened up all the bolts (one was really loose) and sealed the nuts with 3M 5200. That was 5 years and 4,000 miles ago, and the strut is still tight and hasn't leaked. My boat at the time was 3 years old.
The other issue I had that was similar to yours was the loose stop cable. Actually, I had the steering cables themselves loosen also. I checked all the cable u-clamps in the steering system, and found them all loose. None of the lock nuts had been tightened up to the retaining nuts on the clamps. Something worth checking on any boat.
I haven't had any experience with the rudder flange, my bolts still look good. Good luck!

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Tom J said:
I had a similar experience with the strut bolts. I had owned the boat for about a year and had hauled her out at the marina where I worked, just to clean the bottom. The shop foreman wiggled the strut and said it was loose. We tightened up all the bolts (one was really loose) and sealed the nuts with 3M 5200. That was 5 years and 4,000 miles ago, and the strut is still tight and hasn't leaked. My boat at the time was 3 years old.
The other issue I had that was similar to yours was the loose stop cable. Actually, I had the steering cables themselves loosen also. I checked all the cable u-clamps in the steering system, and found them all loose. None of the lock nuts had been tightened up to the retaining nuts on the clamps. Something worth checking on any boat.
I haven't had any experience with the rudder flange, my bolts still look good. Good luck!
Thanks. Mine could have been made loose by prop/shaft issues. They were replaced last year by seller. I'm having the boat pulled to fix the rudder bushing flange bolts so we will also replace and reveal the strut bolts. Hopefully no more complicated than yours was.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
No Screws were ever installed in my rudder collar. Never has caused any problems though.
I believe PaulJ had similar.

Oct 31, 2005
Catalina C310 Dana Point, CA
I've had a strut zinc since new and it does need replacement approx every 4-6 months; seems to last about the same time period as the shaft zinc. Not had any issues with strut bolts or rudder collar--just normal maintenance on steering cables per Edson manual.

Mar 6, 2009
Catalina 310 Dunedin, Fl
Was curious if anyone has installed a zinc on the strut holding the cutlass bearing and shaft. I have had no issues so am inclined to just stick with the two on the shaft, but the boatyard manager recommended that I do it. I see his point that it is somewhat isolated due to the rubber cutlass bearing around the shaft.
I agree totally with Tom J! I have had the same experience as Tom in my 2003 C310 for the last two years.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
You may be interested in the attached Rudder Bearing drawing by Catalina. If not readable, happy to forward PDF to PM.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for trying, still no attachment.
Closed on the boat on Wednesday. Hurt to just pull it into the slip and wait for the weekend...
I'll dive into it tomorrow.
"Brio" hull 258 2004 model built Nov 2003

EdB

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks! I did get the attachment. (Attachments don't work on the iPad app) /Ed

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
No screws shown with the "Delrin Washer", so maybe never intended to have screws even though there are hole in it?

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Yes! After studying the drawing (thanks Albanach) it looks like rev 2 eliminated the screws from the flange and added the two radial screws. When the prior owner had the cutlass bearing and shaft replaced they pulled and replaced the rudder. The Delrin bushing is missing, so the flange was riding right on the rudder. The lack of screws and loose flange resting as such alarmed my inspector during the survey. I also conclude that my loose strut was probably from this crack mechanic pounding to R&R the cutlass bearing. I'll order the Delrin bushing before I have them pull the boat. /EdB

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Why I do anything I can myself!

... I also conclude that my loose strut was probably from this crack mechanic pounding to R&R the cutlass bearing. ... /EdB
Love it when "professional" show no more knowledge that I do.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
truckman said:
Was curious if anyone has installed a zinc on the strut holding the cutlass bearing and shaft. I have had no issues so am inclined to just stick with the two on the shaft, but the boatyard manager recommended that I do it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have seen struts break in two where they were drilled to accept a zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.