Shaft Size on Islander Bahama 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc

Jan 24, 2010
Islander Bahama Thunderbird Marina, West Vancouver
I bought an Islander Bahama 30 last year and was informed it had a racing prop. After a great year of cruising, I have discovered that, although our yanmar 2GM20 runs great, our boat is pretty slow and I have very little control in reverse. A friend with the same model put a Max-Prop on his boat and was thrilled. I've been talking to the Max-prop guy and he wants to know the shaft length on my boat. Unfortunately, I have no idea. I know very little about the boat nor did the previous owner. Are shaft sizes standard? If so, does anyone know the shaft size for this model of Bahamas? Thanks!

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Shaft sizes are not necessarily standard because a manufacturer could use different brands or models of inboards in any given boat. If all the same inboards were installed, then a standard probably can be relied on. Max Props are great. I have one on my boat and the boat backs straight as an arrow. Diameter is important as would be if the shaft end at the prop end was tapered or straight.

IB3089

Feb 8, 2010
Islander Bahama30 Stamford, Ct
Shaft Diameter

I bought an Islander Bahama 30 last year and was informed it had a racing prop. After a great year of cruising, I have discovered that, although our yanmar 2GM20 runs great, our boat is pretty slow and I have very little control in reverse. A friend with the same model put a Max-Prop on his boat and was thrilled. I've been talking to the Max-prop guy and he wants to know the shaft length on my boat. Unfortunately, I have no idea. I know very little about the boat nor did the previous owner. Are shaft sizes standard? If so, does anyone know the shaft size for this model of Bahamas? Thanks!
I would think that knowing the shaft diameter is more important than shaft length. When I replaced the prop on my IB30, shaft diameter (mine is 3/4 in), rotation direction and prop diameter were the 3 factors needed.

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
Islander B-30 Coos Bay Oregon
Islander b-30

We just went thru this. We have an Islander b-30 and it has a Volvo Penta Diesel. The prop that this particular engine takes is: LH 13 x 10 It has a 3/4 tapered shaft.
MY understanding thru the research is that the Yanmar ( According to the book I got with the boat) takes a RH 13 x 10 prop and it has a 3?4 inch tapered shaft. Hope this helps you. I have done 3 months of searching this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.