Shaft seal really dripping

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I changed the packing on mine back in November. below are before, during and after pictures,
Beautiful cleanup of the shaft and nuts.

You may want to keep it that way and coat everything with a product called Fluid Film. Smells like a long hair wet dog laying on the heater but certainly staves off corrosion from wettness. Any dirt that does collect is easily wiped off.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I had the same problem. My bilge pump was running a lot. With no experience, I replaced mine with
Packing GTU for Stuffing Box, 3/16"

from Catalina Direct. it doesn't drip at all and it runs cool. The real question is where do you get the correct size wrenches.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Pateco. What did you do to get that shaft so clean and shiny after the "before" pic?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Gland Nut Wrenches

The real question is where do you get the correct size wrenches.
Try a couple of these if you can find them in a big box hardware store near you.

If/when you do get the wrenches , discard their wing nuts and replace them with hex nuts. Set the wrenches to the desired size and then snug the nuts bloody tight. The wrenches are good but their wing nuts won't hold the wrench or will break if you overtighten them (wingnuts).

Attachments

Oct 28, 2014
Hunter 27 chickamauga lake
You should know how many drops per minute is recommended for your boat I know my hunter 27 is 18 drops per min running if you don't get drops you will burn your packing maybe shaft damage the drops cool the packing and shaft

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Pateco. What did you do to get that shaft so clean and shiny after the "before" pic?
I got most of the shaft clean before I started. I had just paid to have the Stargazer moved from Baltimore to Pompano beach FL, when after our first couple of runs under power in the ICW, Intracoastal Water Way, I noticed a large increase in the water dripping from my packing gland. (It was filling the engine bilge in less than 24 hours), I could not afford to haul her again, So I searched on this site, and learned how to change it while in the water. Thank you to Ralph Johnstone :)

I knew I was going to have to back tho old packing and nut over the shaft area, and needed to have a clean surface to work with for installing the new packing quickly while the boat was in the water. So I started the Yanmar, and while at idle, I put it in reverse and made sure that it was not pulling too hard on my dock lines. I then went below, and used some simple green and a green scotch bright pad held up against the turning shaft. it only took a few minutes of that to clean the exposed shaft.

The nuts were a lot harder. I used the same green scotch bright pad and several small brass wire brushes, in combination with some barkeepers friend to clean the threads and nuts. It didn't work great, but got most of the corrosion off. Once I rinsed that well with water, I lubricated everything with multiple soaks of PB Blaster before I even tried backing of the locking nut, and it was still a pain. I thought about applying heat with a torch, but was afraid of either starting a PB Blaster fire and/or melting the rubber boot seal. I used two hand me down wrenches similar to the picture below that I inherited from two different generations of my family. (got to love hand me down tools)

After multiple attempts. it finally nudged loose, and I was able to worry it back and forth all the while dousing with PB Blaster until it began to spin. Once it was backed off, the water streaming in was actually less than I had feared. With my lovely wife Michelle bailing into the main bilge, I cleaned up the newly exposed shaft with the scotch bright pad, and went to work on the packing.

I had a set of dental picks and scrapers, (again hand me down, this time from my uncle the retired dentist) ,that I used to pick out the old packing and to tamp in the new. The previous owner had two layers of quarter inch where it's supposed to be three layers of three sixteenths. Thought I was going to break a dental pick before it started to come out. Once I got it all removed, I lubed up the new packing with Syntef before installing.

Once it was in snug, I reattached the nut and tightened just until the drip stopped.

Last edited:

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Protip: With the wrenches in place, bang on the one gripping the nut with a metal hammer making a loud clang. The shock will free it.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
The real question is where do you get the correct size wrenches.[/quote]

Pass on all the WM and Home Depot stuff. I bought the plumbing wrenches at Home Depot and would up returning them and got my money back. Trust me on this one. I have been down that road.

Go to Harbor Freight. They have HUGE adjustable wrenches. Buy two of the 18" wrenches. They are rated at 2 inches but will easily manage the stuffing nut and slip nut of your stuffing box of your 270. They are around 20 dollars each. I keep them on board and can now do adjustments as needed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17358.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
You should know how many drops per minute is recommended for your boat I know my hunter 27 is 18 drops per min running if you don't get drops you will burn your packing maybe shaft damage the drops cool the packing and shaft
Seamonkeys,

Drops per min depends on that type of seal you are using. That number may be correct for old standard stuff, but not all packing.

In the photo I saw a package of the moldable packing. I have a 1 inch shaft and put moldable packing in (AS PER DIRECTIONS) back in 2001. Since then I have replaced the shaft and the cutlass bearing. I am still using the same packing material and have the half package left over for when needed.

Since I installed it I have not had one drop of sea water enter. :dance:

AND, very important, after running at full speed for half an hour, running against the current, I can still hold my hand on the stuffing box as long as I like. :D

Greg

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Last Update. I visited the boat yesterday and the shaft seal was dry. Now that this issue is in the books I am going to keep checking the bilge and make sure I have no other leaks. Thanks again to everyone!