shaft removal

BF38

Sep 19, 2012
Beneteau 38 ft lauderdale
Does one have to drop the rudder to remove the shaft from a beneteau 38?

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Does one have to drop the rudder to remove the shaft from a beneteau 38?
Not sure about the 38 but I have a Ben 381 and you don't have to drop the rudder. If you turn the rudder at a certain angle, the shaft will pass next to it.

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Hi BF38,

We too have a 1984 Beneteau First 38. Our hull number is #178. What is yours?

Pics of the rudder, folding “Flex-o-fold” prop, shaft, and stuffing box and coupler are attached. Even if you turn the rudder, I don’t think it would be possible to remove the shaft with the rudder still in place. We will be finding out in a month or so when we will be on the hard at the end of our sailing season here in Chicago.

We will be performing the following this winter:

· Remove rudder; inspect, repair, &/or replace; last inspection revealed wet core
· Remove shaft; install new stuffing box
· Remove HURTH transmission; check and service
· Remove PERKINS 4-108 engine; check and service; currently we have the chronic rear main seal leak
· Remove 130 liter diesel tank; clean & refurbish
· Install new RACOR fuel filters
· Rip out 29 year old “egg-crate” sound dampening foam and install “Dynamat and/or Dynaliner” insulation in the engine compartment.

Regards,

Doug in Lakeview
1984 Beneteau First 38 – Hull #178
Belmont Harbor – Chicago

Attachments

BF38

Sep 19, 2012
Beneteau 38 ft lauderdale
Doug,
We have done most of what you are planning. We pulled the engine and had it rebuilt, but not tranny. Installed new sound down insulation, replaced hoses, painted with bilgecoat, had the shaft out and replaced the cutless, but did not replace shaft which I regret. The metric shaft is a problem now and I want to replace shaft and prop with inches instead of mm. The metric shaft taper is different from American tapers. They sell a bushing, but I dont want to go that route. Still noisy with engine on and I think the problem is the hatch seal. I plan on replacing seal and installing four dogs to push it down onto the seal. I think the boat had these originally, but not the kind that you can operate from above. While all this was going on I noted that it is impossible to remove the shaft unless motor or rudder is gone. Lee, with the Ben 381 says he can pull his without removing rudder...now I am wondering if I missed something.