Shaft log hose - How old is too old and what would you do?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
We pulled the engine and transmission this winter to repair a minor transmission oil leak that started last summer and wasn't going to fix itself. With rare easy access to the engine compartment, I decided it was a good opportunity to replace the crumbling 32 year old insulation panels. In typical "while we're at it" mode, I found a half dozen other little projects in there. Including the topic of this post -- replacing a shaft log hose that has probably been there since the P.O. replaced the prop shaft about 20 years ago, if not longer.

It was not leaking, shows no signs of cracking, and is soft and flexible. Just thought I'ld be pro-active with something that would be a bigger job when the engine is back in place. So, I remove this 5" length of hose and take it to my local marine store to get new solid SS hose clamps and find a match for the hose, which they have -- 1 5/8" dia. exhaust water hose -- sold by the foot for a little over $7/ft. No complaint about the cost or the extra 7", but here's what kind of made me wonder.

The sales person, an older gentleman who looks and sounds like he could be an experienced boater, says "This hose is fine. There is no need to replace it. You are wasting $7." While I appreciate his honesty in not trying to sell me something he thought I didn't need, I'm not sure I trust his judgement on this. So, my questions are…. What is the life expectancy of this type of hose (Fresh water boat, on the hard 6 months/year, if that matters.)….and, what would you do?

Attachments

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Re: Shaft log hose - How old is too old and what would you d

Time to do it motor is out nows the time to change...

Whether you might get 1 or 5 or 15 years out of the old one $7 is cheap insurance on what would be/ will be an extensive job later.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY

I would not worry about $7. Your mind is now at ease for this component.

Sep 30, 2010
hunter 33 Hunter Morehead city

The hose used for shaft logging is thicker walled than exhaust hose, and much more heavy duty. I would not use exhaust hose for that purpose but I am sure some have tried it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We pulled the engine and transmission this winter to repair a minor transmission oil leak that started last summer and wasn't going to fix itself. With rare easy access to the engine compartment, I decided it was a good opportunity to replace the crumbling 32 year old insulation panels. In typical "while we're at it" mode, I found a half dozen other little projects in there. Including the topic of this post -- replacing a shaft log hose that has probably been there since the P.O. replaced the prop shaft about 20 years ago, if not longer.

It was not leaking, shows no signs of cracking, and is soft and flexible. Just thought I'ld be pro-active with something that would be a bigger job when the engine is back in place. So, I remove this 5" length of hose and take it to my local marine store to get new solid SS hose clamps and find a match for the hose, which they have -- 1 5/8" dia. exhaust water hose -- sold by the foot for a little over $7/ft. No complaint about the cost or the extra 7", but here's what kind of made me wonder.

The sales person, an older gentleman who looks and sounds like he could be an experienced boater, says "This hose is fine. There is no need to replace it. You are wasting $7." While I appreciate his honesty in not trying to sell me something he thought I didn't need, I'm not sure I trust his judgement on this. So, my questions are…. What is the life expectancy of this type of hose (Fresh water boat, on the hard 6 months/year, if that matters.)….and, what would you do?

Exhaust hose is not stuffing box hose. Buck Algonquin sells the right stuff, in 1 5/8", and it is sold in 12" lengths.

http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewitems/packing-box-hoses-2/packing-box-hoses-heavy-duty-12-section

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Yikes!

:eek::eek::eek: So the hose that's been on there all this time is the wrong kind. Now that I think of it, that would explain why it always seemed to twist so easily when I adjusted the stuffing box. All the more reason to replace it now as I had planned. Crowleys is the local rep for Buck Algonquin, so I should be able to get the right shaft log hose through them.

Thank's all.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.

Yes - replace the hose. The expected life is 10 years. The correct hose has 6 layers. I replaced both the hose and the stuffing box as well from Buck Algonquin. The order comes with 4 hose clamps

Oct 27, 2012
Hunter / Pearson H19 & 1987 Pearson 31-2 Tarpon Springs

1) Exhaust hose is NOT the correct hose.
2) If you have easy access, NOW is the time, whether it needs it, or not!
3) Try to find silicone hose if you can, it may cost double, but it will outlast the boat!
4) Use NEW FULL CIRCLE Hose Clamps, two on each side if there is enough room on the hose barb.
5) Carefully inspect the metal fittings on either end as they may be rotting on the inside (kind of like my stomach)... Replace if needed.
6) Have Fun!

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD

I'm in the middle of replacing my prop shaft right now. I have the Buck Algonquin ordered and will be putting it all together this weekend. My question is: Does this hose go on dry or should I use some type of sealer on it?

Tom