Shaft Length for Outboard on 1985 25 PS

Jan 12, 2014
Lancer 25 PS Dana Point
Hello All :

I have a 1985 Lancer 25 PS. I have a Johnson 120 outboard 2 stroke that I am sure is stock. The motor is getting unreliable and is pretty load for cruising since one sits in front of it. I am planning to replace it with a 4 stroke newer motor. I am also working on making the motor unlockable so it will work on a tiller to make the boat more maneuverable pulling into the slip.

I am having trouble determining the shaft length, or finding specs for the boat that show what shaft lengths would work for an outboard. Any info on that appreciated.

thanks,

Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jim, IIRC from my old Catalina 22 & Catalina 25 outboard days, there are long shaft and extra long shaft engines available. Many trailer sailors "swear" by the extra long shafts to avoid the engine coming out of the water when motoring uphill. I recommend doing some research on engine dimensions, since the position of your outboard bracket will have a large impact on what choice you make, unless you choose to move your bracket if necessary. Each application is pretty unique. Good luck.

Jan 12, 2014
Lancer 25 PS Dana Point
Thanks for the info. I am planning to pull it out for paint on the bottom this winter, so I might have the boat place come and check it out. I plan to use it mostly to cruise to catalina when the wind is low or the sun is getting too low. I figure it is a good time to replace the motor while the boat is out of the water.

thanks,

Jim

Jul 10, 2011
Lancer 27PS 27 Powersailer Ohio - Lake Erie
Hi Jim,
I have a 1985 Lancer 27 PS (Powersailor). It had a 10hp 4 stroke yamaha long shaft on it when I purchased it. That engine did okay, but I never really hit waves or swells more than 3-5 on Lake Erie. It did come out of the water on occasion. I replaced it with a 40HP Yamaha long shaft. Then I hit 10 foot waves and was really wishing that I had an extra long shaft. I looked at A LOT of used outboards to replace the 10HP. If I were to do it again, I'd get an extra long shaft.
Todd

Jan 12, 2014
Lancer 25 PS Dana Point
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. We often get 3-5' swells here in CA. If they get up to 10, I don't go out. Sounds like the 40hp was sufficient power though. I am moving down from a 120hp 2 stroke. As it is, the boat becomes unstable at half power (10-12 knots). I am looking to go more quiet and comfortable with a 4 stroke 40-50 hp.

thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,
I have a 1985 Lancer 27 PS (Powersailor). It had a 10hp 4 stroke yamaha long shaft on it when I purchased it. That engine did okay, but I never really hit waves or swells more than 3-5 on Lake Erie. It did come out of the water on occasion. I replaced it with a 40HP Yamaha long shaft. Then I hit 10 foot waves and was really wishing that I had an extra long shaft. I looked at A LOT of used outboards to replace the 10HP. If I were to do it again, I'd get an extra long shaft.
Todd

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening Jim. Spent six days sailing in San Diego for New Years and had outboard issues…the impeller came apart and there was salt buildup in the cooling lines. Took it to the Dingy Doctor [ http://www.thedinghydoctor.com ] about 1530 Thursday afternoon and picked it up at 0930 Saturday morning. While there I noticed that they had lot's of inventory and great prices. I'm looking for a new 6 hp outboard an they a Tohatsu long shaft in stock and cheaper than I could find on-line. It might be worth a call to see if they could order an extra long shaft motor for you and compare prices.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
My Lancer 27PS has a Yamaha T9.9XPA which is an extra long shaft (hence the 'X'). I think it is 25". It takes me to and from Dana Point, Mission Bay, and other points. Haven't done Catalina yet. Works great. But the key is "long shaft" You want that blade deep just for the very reasons mentioned.

Jul 10, 2011
Lancer 27PS 27 Powersailer Ohio - Lake Erie
Brian,
I was wondering if you would join in the conversation.

Did you ever get those trailer pics I sent?
Todd

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Brian,
I was wondering if you would join in the conversation.

Did you ever get those trailer pics I sent?
Todd
Yes, Todd, I did. Sorry for not getting back to you. Thanks for sending them. Not sure what I want to do now.

Jan 12, 2014
Lancer 25 PS Dana Point
Thanks much. I think that is what is needed and may be what is on the johnson 2 stroke I have now. I will be looking at outboards with XL.

thanks,

Jim