Shaft coupling attachment

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
It's time to change the Volvo shaft seal before Spring launch. I have the new seal - just wondering about disconnecting the shaft from the coupling.

Is there a bolt on the face of the coupling securing it to the shaft or is this heat shrink fit?

Is there a shaft key?

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes and yes on mine. I was unable to disconnect the coupling. I cut the shaft instead. The screws sheared off when I tried to remove them.
I hope you not have that problem.
Haro.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
You need to undo coupling halves ,undo any setscrews or bolt on end of shaft .Some Beneteaus the shaft is straight with setscrews and key ,others are a tapered fit with bolt on end of shaft ,either way you need puller to draw the coupling half off and remove key as to not hurt the new seals on volvo dripless and use orange plastic installation tool that came with your new seal to protect the lips of new seal during install.
If you cannot get it to release you can use a propane torch on the coupling halve holding it one place( do not move it around) , with tension on the puller ,it will pop over my 40 years as a millwright I have removed hundreds

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Got the coupling halves apart and the shaft nut off without issue. Put on a flange puller and cranked it up to a good limit. Heated coupling to approx 200F and coupling didn't pop. Hot hot to go?

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Got the coupling halves apart and the shaft nut off without issue. Put on a flange puller and cranked it up to a good limit. Heated coupling to approx 200F and coupling didn't pop. Hot hot to go?
A piece of aluminum and a hammer and a good hit while hot and puller under load , don't use a hammer directly on the coupling you don't want to damage it. Also make sure you hit the body end of coupling half not the flange, again you don't want to bend it and have runout