Shades of BlueJ

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK blue is my favorite color. So therefore I love this picture, 1 of the 30 or so we get to choose from for our WYC trophy picture. Its not my favorite action shot, but I love all the shades of blue.

4.png

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Nobody protested you for your long foot? It looks like the clew is beyond the limit band and the outhaul is eased. I'd hide that photo. :biggrin: Even your clothing is color coordinated. Nice shot.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice Picture. Clay.

Nov 8, 2010
Nobody protested you for your long foot? It looks like the clew is beyond the limit band and the outhaul is eased. I'd hide that photo. :biggrin: Even your clothing is color coordinated. Nice shot.
;-) That band you see is actually our Velcro clew strap that wraps around the boom. The sail measures fine. It can actually be pulled all the way to the end fitting.

PS - But I really enjoy people who analyze photos. I do the exact same thing.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Nice picture. I like blue also but Lee is going with black and white this time around.

Does anyone other than the helms person handle any lines on your boat while racing? Now I know why I was always known as a vocal skipper. "Easy the guy, come on trim the sheet, fore deck hurry up, to much weight on the bow, trim, trim, where is 2061, what the hell are you doing going below, we'll drink beer when we win !" :beer: :kick:

Nov 8, 2010
Nice picture. I like blue also but Lee is going with black and white this time around.

Does anyone other than the helms person handle any lines on your boat while racing? Now I know why I was always known as a vocal skipper. "Easy the guy, come on trim the sheet, fore deck hurry up, to much weight on the bow, trim, trim, where is 2061, what the hell are you doing going below, we'll drink beer when we win !" :beer: :kick:
We have manouver cadences developed for five, four, or three crew. Five is technically fully crewed but four works better for us and is our regular formation. Me, Jodi-main, Jean-pit/guy, Brendon-trim/bow. It’s just busy in corners. Our bow/trim person goes forward, and I run sheet and guy for a moment. It works. In that pic, we are getting ready for a douse.

For 95% of the downwind run the bow comes back and trims the sheet, and the pit does the guy (99% of the time on a winch). Looks like this.

4D6EE87A-E315-42D1-97F5-21F5C6B4FD52.png

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Just giving you a little grief dude. ;):) I wished we had some racing going on in my neighborhood. :( Sure miss it. We may come to your neighborhood next summer to get out of the heat. Sailing season starts here next week. :waycool:

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Nice shots.....but in the first one, Brendon gets cut off. What does he think?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Really nice.
Every artist goes through his 'blue' phase. I've always suspected you had an artist hidden away in there somewhere.
I like the padded lifelines. That must make being rail-meat a cushy job.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
why not share the remaining images JD, we can pick one for you. :O)
While the kite looks pretty, all trimmed in and sailing low looks slow as compared to your video of the knockdown or beating to windward with that lovely headsail, and one of those twin rudders dug in deep.
I do agree with all of the tones of Blue, the reflection on the spinnaker AND all the white Dacron behind you to set it off against the green trees.

Nov 8, 2010
Nice shots.....but in the first one, Brendon gets cut off. What does he think?
;^) That is the one shot in a four-shot sequence of us in this area. Only in this one is he cut off. We will not use it for the trophy pic, but it has the best blues!

Nov 8, 2010
Just giving you a little grief dude. ;):) I wished we had some racing going on in my neighborhood. :( Sure miss it. We may come to your neighborhood next summer to get out of the heat. Sailing season starts here next week. :waycool:
Oh I didn't take it as grief at all! If fact I like careful observation and questions. It's rare that I look at a picture of a boat sailing and don't have a question about trim, crew work, boat balance etc. And you're always welcome come race!

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Ever think about adding a retractable deck mounted pole and flying an asym?

Nov 8, 2010
Ever think about adding a retractable deck mounted pole and flying an asym?
Funny you ask. For W/L racing an asym would be slower than the symmetrical kite. Our polars show that out best downwind VMG angles are way too deep for effective asym use. You can see that in more that 10 knots of breeze, we never sail any higher than 165 TWA. This type of performance is true for most boats BTW, your boat would be faster downwind with a spinnaker on a pole. Even the Sunfast 3600 is usually raced with a pole.

VPP 260.png

Off the wind racing and cruising different story. For cruising we do have a pair of asyms, but I hate having them tacked at the bow. And I want to get a Code0 for reaching. So I designed a prod to mount at the bow. I made a full size mockup for a test fitting and it looks fine. Its being built by a custom aluminum fab shop now.

prod.jpg

Last edited:

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Funny you ask. For W/L racing an asym would be slower than the symmetrical kite. Our polars show that out best downwind VMG angles are way too deep for effective asym use. You can see that in more that 10 knots of breeze, we never sail any higher than 165 TWA. This type of performance is true for most boats BTW, your boat would be faster downwind with a spinnaker on a pole. Even the Sunfast 3600 is usually raced with a pole.

View attachment 157545

Off the wind racing and cruising different story. For cruising we do have a pair of asyms, but I hate having them tacked at the bow. And I want to get a Code0 for reaching. So I designed a prod to mount at the bow. I made a full size mockup for a test fitting and it looks fine. Its being built by a custom aluminum fab shop now.

View attachment 157546
I meant for the convenience of it really. Less lines, less man power and higher reaching angles.
I never do w/l races on my own boat because ill never find a enough competent and steady crew. But I enjoy doing distance races shorthand with the asym all the time.
Even solo is a breeze ... especially with the TD furler. Had a blast in 20knts last weekend by myself... one hand on the sheet....one hand one the wheel.... and the vang in my teeth!

Nov 8, 2010
I meant for the convenience of it really. Less lines, less man power and higher reaching angles.
I never do w/l races on my own boat because ill never find a enough competent and steady crew. But I enjoy doing distance races shorthand with the asym all the time.
Even solo is a breeze ... especially with the TD furler. Had a blast in 20knts last weekend by myself... one hand on the sheet....one hand one the wheel.... and the vang in my teeth!
For convenience and reaching for sure asyms rule.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I wish I liked green for sailboat colors. My wife and I are with you on blues, Clay. (All you need now is a palmetto tree and a crescent on you spinnaker.)

Nov 8, 2010
why not share the remaining images JD, we can pick one for you. :O)
While the kite looks pretty, all trimmed in and sailing low looks slow as compared to your video of the knockdown or beating to windward with that lovely headsail, and one of those twin rudders dug in deep.
I do agree with all of the tones of Blue, the reflection on the spinnaker AND all the white Dacron behind you to set it off against the green trees.
We have a member who runs a professional photo business... 4-6 times a year he skips a race and goes out in one of the club chase boats and takes pictures. He tries to get at least one shot of every boat; most get 5 or so. We seem to get more; maybe its due to the color and we stand out. Last year all of of our picks (like 15) were upwind. This year almost the reverse, almost all downwind. I agree the upwind shots really stand out. They're all here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aiLiSejW8tasB4tf8