Sextant

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
To continue beating this fatigued horse (Pegasus, maybe?) I bought one of these for the coffee table.. after adjusting it, I find that it is pretty accurate and I've used it to figure angles between things and the height of things like a masthead above water.. about "hand sized"..

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Thank you everyone for your answers; I will pass them on to him. I personally will look into the US Power Squadron course. You have been very helpful.
ASA 107 is Celestial Nav course as well, there is an online one too.....
Can't find the link though. Starpath maybe has one. Online nautical almanac at thenauticalalmanac.com.

Funny thing. When I took my ASA107, we used Google Skymap to find our stars. Being in a large city we had a lot of light pollution but, still made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Astronomy..... get the SKY VIEW LITE APP... IT'S FREE !!!! names EVERYTHING in the heavens and shows their arc of trajectory....
FYI, you don't use a sextant to find stars and planets.......

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
To continue beating this fatigued horse (Pegasus, maybe?) I bought one of these for the coffee table.. after adjusting it, I find that it is pretty accurate and I've used it to figure angles between things and the height of things like a masthead above water.. about "hand sized"..
A great book for these uses is:
Shoreline and Sextant: Practical Coastal Navigation
by John Budlong.

Out of print, so some searching will be needed.
Well written and understandable for
beginners. (well, imho)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i have a beautiful old US Navy sextant w papers showing it was issued and used in WW II in the pacific. i took the US power squadron navigation course which came w a great book. a favorite thing to do: go out on the boat at sunset, and wonder where all in the world that sextant has been , and if it's disappointed to now end up just 5 miles from shore in erie bay .

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I bought one of these for the coffee table.. after adjusting it, I find that it is pretty accurate.
Claude, who would have thought that Harbor Freight sells sextants!