Several years ago I stripped the cabintop to make repairs.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I had to remove everything. This was a chore but in the end, it was easier to repair the top and refurbish the parts. Virtually everything on the cabintop was leaking.

The top required some fiberglass repair, mostly at the sharp turn at the edge where it meets the cabinside. I ground it down careful not to hit the moulding and leave enough fiberglass to overlap it with 2" glass tape and epoxy. I was able to keep the upper moulding in place as the fiberglass needed patching not replacing.

I replaced the crazed plexiglass with 3/8" smoked Lexan(200.00 from a local glass shop, I cut and fit the pieces). The hatches were in very good shape. The joints were as tight as the day they were fitted. I removed everything and stripped and revarnished. You really appreciate the quality in the workmanship and the bronze parts, nothing needed replacing.

The hand rails were destroyed in the process but everything else came off and went back on. During this phase I stripped and refinished much of the interior and of course removed everything I could. I still haven't gotten to the vee berth or the head. Maybe next year.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofej4/site ... htwork.jpg

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
I also had to repair the cabin top. I ended up replacing the entire top and had to build new hatches. My boat had been stored outside with a canvas cover for the last twenty years. I think that she was never able to dry out. All the plywood had delaminated.
The opening port in the head is not bronze on my boat. I'm looking for a currently looking to replace it. If any one comes across one, let me know.