Setup for mounting dinghy to stern?

Dec 31, 2020
Catalina 30 Gig Harbor
1987 Catalina 30 MK II - wondering whether there’s a kit or other solution for mounting a dinghy behind the stern pushpit? I’ve been dissuaded from putting it upside down on the foredeck, as that covers the emergency escape hatch.

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
I've been working on reproducing an older wooden mount I saw on another boat. Decided to see about one for sail. Check out teakflex.com I'm going to check with them tomorrow. teakflex@aol.com

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Sorry, you were talking about the whole dinghy. I was thinking you were just trying to mount the engine, as I am. I use a bridle to pull behind.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
What kind of dinghy? Inflatable, fiberglass, rotomolded polyethylene? What size? Help us help you.

Are there constraints on the back of the boat that will limit you, like the hatch did at the bow? Swim steps, sugar scoop access, oddly shaped transom?

What worked for me with a reverse transom and an inflatable might not work on your boat with you dinghy.

Dec 31, 2020
Catalina 30 Gig Harbor
I get that towing behind, with a bridle, will be the go-to solution most times. But when we’re moored in the marina, I don’t feel right about just leaving the dinghy tied up beside the dock - inviting theft, or sitting there slimy and growth-encrusted, half submerged by rainwater... seen enough of such.
Dinghy I’m thinking about: rigid hulled (likely fiberglass) inflatable, 8 or 10 feet.
Obstructions/limitations at aft end: here’s a photo of the pushpit, with its built-in drop-down stern ladder.
0BB493F7-442B-472C-9F8E-FE902A5FF46E.jpeg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You have got to be kidding ?

You're going to mount an 8-10 ft. rigid, heavy, dinghy in that jungle Jim of steel tubing ? And without a sugar scoop transom to stand on ?

Stick with towing the dinghy and then wash and store when it's not being used. Waaaaaaaaaaaay easier.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Luke, when in the Marina, how about putting it on the fore deck and covering with a tarp to keep it relatively clean for your next cruise. I have hauled my dingy up onto the foredeck with the spinnaker halyard not be issue. It is a 10' inflatable.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I made a mistake with my dinghy. I have a Quicksilver 310 rib and tried to use Weaver davits. Seemed OK until the boat heeled and drug one end or the other. Now I just tow it. YMMV

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
39816F89-1747-4802-B4E9-E973E3C48AEE.jpeg Started carrying mine like this last year. We’ve done about a thousand miles so far and it seems to work well. It’s out of the way and easy to deploy and no drag.

Dec 31, 2020
Catalina 30 Gig Harbor
Thanks to all who replied! At this point I’m drawn to jssailem’s suggestion that we keep the ding on the foredeck, under a tarp, when in the marina - and tow behind with a bridle when underway.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I tow backwards with 2 lines to each tube and pull dink up and out so just a little of bow drags in water I can still maneuver into slip and most boat out water

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just for idle curiosity, when I first got my dinghy I calculated the length of bridle by pulling the bridle with an electronic scale. The least towing force required was at a distance of about 2 meters behind the boat. As the bridle got longer, the required force increased. Most likely due to the dinghy lying lower in the water.