Setting up H310 for single handing

Jul 9, 2023
Hunter 310 Lake Lanier
I am considering purchasing a 1997 Hunter 310. Currently the boat is not well set for single handing. The mainsheet ends on the coach roof and so do the jib sheets. There are two unused winches about 10 inches aft of the base of the arch. Would be perfect for single handed tacks. Has anyone set up their boat with the jib sheets using these winches instead of the one on the coach roof? Any suggestions, pics or diagrams would be a big help. Thank you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@GALakesailor First welcome to SBO.

What you suggest makes sense to help you tack the boat while you are standing behind the helm.
What some sailors do is use the AP and control it while standing in front of the helm. That way they can reach the cabin top winches. They save the winches near the stern for controlling a spinnaker.

There are not rigid rules. How you want to control your boat is really up to your desires.

Solo sailing is different for each owner. I do it all the time. When I have crew I let them manage the jib. When solo I do the work. To make this easier I use a remote control for the AP. I can adjust course from anywhere on the boat.

Fair winds. and safe sailing.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my 1988 O’Day 322, my jib cars are set up on tracks outside of my shrouds, and the sheets run back to winches on the cockpit coming.

I find this very convenient location and I single-hand 90% of the time.

Not sure if this helps…the jib sheets run where the red line is drawn.

IMG_1927.jpeg

Greg

Alan K

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter 380 Norwalk, CT
My jib and halyard are all on the coach roof on my 380. If I'm short handed, I'll use the auto-tack feature on the Auto Pilot as jssailem suggests. It's like having another set of hands. At least something to try before re-directlng your jib sheets.

My Hunter is of a similar vintage as the boat you are considering. I have found mine to be very well founded.

Have fun

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
I am considering purchasing a 1997 Hunter 310. Currently the boat is not well set for single handing. The mainsheet ends on the coach roof and so do the jib sheets. There are two unused winches about 10 inches aft of the base of the arch. Would be perfect for single handed tacks. Has anyone set up their boat with the jib sheets using these winches instead of the one on the coach roof? Any suggestions, pics or diagrams would be a big help. Thank you.
My 340 is set up the same as the 310. The two winches aft of the arch are designed as spinnaker winches. To single hand, I just move forward of the wheel and reach back as necessary while handling the jib sheets using the cabin top winches.

Are you looking at Indy J? She is in the slip behind me.

Mar 16, 2015
Hunter 310 Lake Norman
I owned a 97 310 for years and loved it! I did not have the rear winches. Those are really for a spinnaker but would work with the jib. However you wouldn’t be able to use the sail tracks on the coach roof or sheet in the jib as much as desired. On mine the main halyard was set up so that the main could be controlled from the arch end of the boom, over the helmsman seat, great for single handling. I’m this case the halyard was long enough to be easily used at helm. Hope that helps.

Jul 9, 2023
Hunter 310 Lake Lanier
Thanks to all. I was going to go with the Autopilot solution...but as it turned out the seller had to fix some engine leaks and subsequently went on to raise the selling price. So a deal is unlikely. But thanks anyway. Will keep looking.

Jul 9, 2023
Hunter 310 Lake Lanier
My 340 is set up the same as the 310. The two winches aft of the arch are designed as spinnaker winches. To single hand, I just move forward of the wheel and reach back as necessary while handling the jib sheets using the cabin top winches.

Are you looking at Indy J? She is in the slip behind me.
Capt. Caldwell
Thank you for your response. As mentioned in a different post, the deal fell through. The boat is called 'Wind Dancer' in slip Z-17 on Aqualand marina. I dont see a listing for Indy J...but if you hear of a decent 30 ft sailboat with walk through transom, bimini and good for single handing, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Capt. Caldwell
Thank you for your response. As mentioned in a different post, the deal fell through. The boat is called 'Wind Dancer' in slip Z-17 on Aqualand marina. I dont see a listing for Indy J...but if you hear of a decent 30 ft sailboat with walk through transom, bimini and good for single handing, please let me know. Thanks a lot.
I have been looking at that boat myself. I also am on Z dock, slip 28. Hunter 240.