Set your watch back 20 years

Tiffany

Staff member
Jul 3, 2017
Gainesville
The world is complicated, sailing shouldn’t be... With all the new tech available today is sailing getting better or just more complicated?

Was boating better in the nostalgic "good ol' days"?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I go sailing to enjoy "sailing" and see the scenery. Not to play with electronics.

Garmin GPSMAP 2006C and Autohelm ST4000+ is the limit of my electronics (beyond radio and the basics). Tells me everything I could possibly want to know and they are NOT linked. That's what gets you into BIG BIG trouble.

Stuck in the past ? Nope. Just not a sucker for useless electronic gadgets and I really do enjoy sailing.

• Ha
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx and Autohelm ST3000 is the limit of my electronics (beyond radio and the basics). Tells me everything I could possibly want to know and they are NOT linked. That's what gets you into BIG BIG trouble.

Great minds think alike.

That setup got me from San Francisco to British Columbia. "Gee, sir, they said with tears in their eyes, How could you possibly go that far with such inferior instrumentation?!?" "I am a sailor, not a gadget geek," I replied.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
"I am a sailor, not a gadget geek," I replied.
Now that you mention it, that pretty well describes most of the people I see in our marina who are well loaded with electronics.

Last year we had a guy in a 40'+ gin mill plow into one of the pilings of our Second Narrows Bridge. The piling is the size of a tall building.

I wonder if that was his problem.