Servicing Spinlock XA clutches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Does anyone know how to disassemble the double-wide Spinlock xa clutches used for the halyards on the Hunter 25.5? Service kits that include new levers, cams, baseplates and side plates are available from Defender and Mauri Pro Sailing. But it is not clear to me how to disassemble the clutch itself. Does anyone have experience disasssembling double-wide Spinlock xa clutch?
Spinlock_xa_IMG_1252.jpg

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
No direct experance but I'm thinking the four screws in the side would be a good place to start.
A word of caution, only disassemble one at a time. With all the Rube Goldburg mechanics in there you will most likly need a referance to get it back together. alternatly draw a picture for later referance.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What is wrong with yours? Normally it is just the levers that break. If so, leave the screws alone. Take a small bolt, and tap it with a hammer to drive out the pin. 90% of all parts open to you now. Done it many times, a very quick job.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
email Spinlock. I will bet they can provide technical assistance. They may even have some drawings & instructions.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Spinlocks...

The side you show has hex nut retainers molded in. The other side should have screw heads. Disassembly is to remove the side faces by taking out the cross-bolt screws. Do it carefully so springs and levers don't go swimming.

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Scott,

Thanks for the sheet on servicing Spinlock XA clutches ... very helpful.

Regards,

Ernest Godsey

Status
Not open for further replies.