Service switch for AC Shore Power?

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I've been reading up on Marine Electric in a US Power Squadron course. They state that you should have a service switch (breaker) with overload protection within 3' of the service male plug (not at the panel, but upstream). My 1987 322 has no such breaker between the service entrance and the panel. Do others have this additional breaker? Is this something that was recommended after 1987? (My 1987 O'Day 272LE didn't have this additional breaker either).

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes, the double pole breaker was a requirement to be ABYC compliant. Not sure when this became effective; however, my '06 Beneteau has it.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
My 1993 Hunter has one. 2 pole CB right next to the shore power plug

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've been reading up on Marine Electric in a US Power Squadron course. They state that you should have a service switch (breaker) with overload protection within 3' of the service male plug (not at the panel, but upstream). My 1987 322 has no such breaker between the service entrance and the panel. Do others have this additional breaker? Is this something that was recommended after 1987? (My 1987 O'Day 272LE didn't have this additional breaker either).
Yes the requirement is after your boat was built. The new recommendation is for an ELCI (https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/14/28/Circuit_Breakers/ELCI_and_GFCI), however, given the age of your boat it is probably grandparented into compliance.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If your AC double pole main breaker is more than 10' of wire length from the shore power inlet a second double pole breaker is required if wiring the the ABYC standards. The key here is 10 wire feet which is often not a lot of boat feet away.. This makes for a good opportunity to add an ELCI main breaker..

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Thanks all. Not sure how long the wire run is, have to get back to the boat. It's close to 10', but could be less..

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Does the ELCI cause nusiance trips?
Understand the differance and cost increase to go to ELCI is it worth it or just a regular two pole breaker good enough

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yup. Wired one right next to the inlet on both my 28 and my 272. Nigel Calder’s book indicates it is required as I recall.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Does the ELCI cause nusiance trips?
Understand the differance and cost increase to go to ELCI is it worth it or just a regular two pole breaker good enough
The ECLI has a higher trip current that a GFCI, so it should be less likely to have nuisance trips. It also protects any AC devices that are not GFCI protected.

With that said, it is still subject to the cumulative effects of leaks. ECLIs are designed to trip if there is a 30mA leak. If you have 2 devices each with a 16mA leak, it will trip.

An article I read recently suggested that an electric hot water heater is a prime source of ground fault leaks. Make sense as the heater has a submerged electric heating element.