Sell or Repair?

Apr 23, 2014
Catalina 22 Nashville
Long story short, '89 Catalina 22 that has been in a slip in a freshwater lake in TN for past 20 years. Had a trailer built from Triad Trailers and moved the boat to a covered dry lot on MS coast to sail the Mississippi Sound area. First outing ended with broken pintles (3/8") and 2 inches of water in bottom of the boat (first time the boat has actually seen a wave over 4 inches high)...only forward through hull is the retractable keel. Will be replacing rudder and upgrading to 1/2" pintles, but considering the trailer is worth more than the boat and I'm not able to do the work myself...Will the repair cost for repairing the fitting for the keel make this a money pit? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Apr 23, 2014
Catalina 22 Nashville
Didn't know there was a refit kit verses purchasing an entire rudder...thanks...will call Pass Christian Yacht Works today and see if they can get it in to take a look at the keel. Thanks

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Perhaps this is the sign you want to finally give the Catalina 22 a new home and get the J boat you’ve desired.
He speaks a much deeper truth than might be realized. I had a 23 foot Clipper Marine with a swing keel and would never have taken it out on San Francisco Bay. A swing keel is something that is in my past, never to be repeated.

My wife took lessons on a J24. The sailing school used those boats hard for years on end, in some of the roughest areas of the Bay, and had confidence that their students were safe.