Self tailing winches

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You can purchase beige ceiling liner caps from a good hardware store to cover up the two holes which comes in sizes. Suggest purchasing them first

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Installed a pair of Lewmar 16st. I would not go any bigger but this was a good size. The West Marine BOGO sale is the same time each year. (I think I bought in March?) Defender will also price match and typically throw in a winch handle.
E2B8174C-878C-4788-B42C-0A14DBBBF76F.jpeg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
It's not clear if the winches you have now are single or two speed. I swapped out the single speed original winches on my C&C27 for two speed self tailing and it was the single biggest improvement I made to the boat. It was a huge improvement for both crewed racing and single handing. I had the blue winchers on the original winches and they were pretty useless.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
It's not clear if the winches you have now are single or two speed. I swapped out the single speed original winches on my C&C27 for two speed self tailing and it was the single biggest improvement I made to the boat. It was a huge improvement for both crewed racing and single handing. I had the blue winchers on the original winches and they were pretty useless.
The Lewmar 16ST are single speed. I personally find that they are so overkill already in size that I wouldn’t see any meaningful advantage to a 2 speed setup on a H260. With the B&R rig all the power is coming from the main and the jib is undersized so I find even bare hands from behind the wheel I can set the sails as tight as I need.

The other limiter is overall size. On a 260 the 16St holes were pretty close to the edge of the embedded aluminum plate. The smallest lewmar two speed is the 30, which I suspect you’d have to rig a mounting block underneath as it would almost certainly not fit.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021
Hunter 260 Thornbury
So I notice you have a spin lock PXR jam lock mounted , is that correct? If so how do you like it and did it mount in existing cam lock mounting holes ?

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
So I notice you have a spin lock PXR jam lock mounted , is that correct? If so how do you like it and did it mount in existing cam lock mounting holes ?
Yes, they are the spinlocks. The retrofit fixed mount ones fit perfectly in the existing holes.

I think they are an improvement over the stock setup as they make line handling from behind the wheel easier as far as locking down the sheets. That said, the angle in the current position leaves a bit to be desired and they often get hung up. The cleat next to the winch would give a much better angle, but then you’d loose winch usability.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
What about switching out cleat and jammer positions ?
Would help some but not totally. Part of the challenge is the winch but the bugger issue is it is so far forward that when you whip it downwards to lock it down the deck is in the way. That’s why a position closer to the cockpit would be superior.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
So forgive me but what are you using those giant winches for on a H260
16's are not giant. My First 235 at 23 feet came with them from the factory. They appear to fit nicely on their boat.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
16's are not giant. My First 235 at 23 feet came with them from the factory. They appear to fit nicely on their boat.
Agreed. These are the right size for the boat, but I would not go any bigger. The added size is nice for mast raising, bosuns chair work, centerboard lifting, etc. I could have gone one size down and been happy, but I always go a step up for everything boating. If you go small, you'll always wish you had bigger.