Self Tailers and the Catalina 22 New Design

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Do I ever wish that someone made a smaller self tailing winch. The smallest one is the Andersen 12 ST which is a whopping 3/8's less in diameter than the Lewmar I'll be installing. One of the last projects on a longish list is the new 15ST Evo winch. Why the Evo? I thought that its clean top would better match the older #6 Chrome Lewmar winch if I decided down the road to mount them on the cabin. The #6's were a bear to get off but 3 applications of DeBond Marine Formula and, what felt like hundreds of mallet blows (per side) finally netted results. Now that I'm ready to scrape off what's left of the silicone I'm wondering just how you decided to locate your new (and huge) self tailing winch. Did you just center it where the #6 was or, did you push it a bit forward on the coaming so that the new winch didn't overhang the coaming? Maybe the Andersen was a better choice? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

George

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I added lewmar 16st winches on my 88. Put them basically where the 6's were (they were actually not symmetrical for some reason) so I fixed that, so the starboard one ended up moving forward about 1" to match. Work great and one of the best investments I made in the boat so far. I went with the 16st as that is what Catalina was putting on the 22 as an option. Kinda overkill but really nice when im single handing the boat.

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Thank you for the reply morbidfollower. You have a beautiful boat and, she’s fourteen (14) hulls younger than Waffle House - lol. Though our winch model numbers are different, the base dimensions are identical as is the weight (depending on which site you go to). I am curious, did you locate your “output gear” in the 3 O’Clock position relative to the load as the install manual suggests? The five (5) bolt hole mounting pattern throws things off a bit. Could it be that with such an oversized winch that the caution regarding the output gear is moot? Though it “looked” like my #6’s were symmetrical, the bolt patterns were not so, after I pot the old holes, I will be starting from scratch to locate the new winches on either side of WH. I’ll also mention that I was able to source M6 studs which was another reason why I went with the Evos as opposed to the Ocean series.

George

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
Thank you for the reply morbidfollower. You have a beautiful boat and, she’s fourteen (14) hulls younger than Waffle House - lol. Though our winch model numbers are different, the base dimensions are identical as is the weight (depending on which site you go to). I am curious, did you locate your “output gear” in the 3 O’Clock position relative to the load as the install manual suggests? The five (5) bolt hole mounting pattern throws things off a bit. Could it be that with such an oversized winch that the caution regarding the output gear is moot? Though it “looked” like my #6’s were symmetrical, the bolt patterns were not so, after I pot the old holes, I will be starting from scratch to locate the new winches on either side of WH. I’ll also mention that I was able to source M6 studs which was another reason why I went with the Evos as opposed to the Ocean series.

George
Hi George, thank you. I tried as best as I could to get the output gear in the correct position. On this small of a boat I don't think it probably matters however. I rarely used the standard winches before unless I was running a 150 (rare. Using the self tailers as an extra hand more than anything. I was more concerned as it sounds like you are, of having enough meat to have the 5 bolt pattern work correctly. I never realized the measurements were off on my old winches until I removed them and measured. I guess wind weaver would be a sibling to Waffle House. :) Enjoy your boat.