self tacking genua HR-39

alette

Dec 25, 2013
hallberg rassy 39 Oslo
I have a HR-39 and want to convert my foresail to a selftacking sail. Anyone have experience?? What brand etc.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You will need a jib that is no more than 90% and then will have to purchase gear to put on the foredeck just forward of the mast. I recommend you do a Google search on your topic, you'd get much more input that way, since most folks here don't have this kind of gear. A variant of this is the Hoyt jib boom. Good luck.

It's a great system if you tack a lot in restricted narrow channels. I've seen on of our boats with this gear, when he bought the boat from a skipper in Stockton up in the California Delta. Once he moved the boat to the main Bay he removed the gear, because the small jib is not very good for off-wind or downwind sailing. It can't be a self-tacking sail if it is not small enough to pass in front of the mast, so it cannot be a "genoa."

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Call your sailmaker and discuss the idea. The sail must fit the self tacking system....otherwise your wasting time and money. There's a ton of stuff available for boats your size. Google "self tacking jibs" for many pics and ideas.... but, I would call my sailmaker first thing..