Self Furling Jib

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Did anyone mention to andy that the sail system is not called "self furling". Rather, it's "roller furling" or "roller reefing".... Andy, I highly recommend that you practice all these tasks while tied to the dock, preferably pointing up wind.... (or down wind if you want to practice setting and dousing a spinnaker.) That way any mistakes or equipment malfunctions can be addressed in non critical conditions. Keep your sailing handbook nearby for reference. Make sure your headsails are equipped with three pairs of tell tales to help you trim and steer . Also make sure your mainsail has three single tell tales attached to its back edge(leech). When you purchase the inexpensive tell tales there will be instructions on how to install and use them when sailing.

My boat is docked facing the prevailing breeze, so 90% of the time I will hoist the main before leaving, one less thing to do... if the motor dies..I still have sail power. If you're docked facing downwind, it might not work, unless you flip the boat around. If you're on a mooring... you'll always be facing upwind.

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter Legend 290 Brightlingsea
John / Joe,

Thank you very much for your help.
There was zero wind today and quite nice weather. Despite the UK lock down 2.0, we are still allowed to visit and sail our boats. We aren't able to stay on them.

I put the genoa up and down a few times, including lock it off half way out whilst at the mooring.

Took the boat out for a spin, but just on the engine to give the batteries a charge. It was like a mill pond :)

Attachments

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
Also check how much furling line is on your drum when the sail is out at the dock, and when it has been furled. Too much line can make it hard to furl completely. If you "let it go" when unfurling, you can get the furling line criss-crossing itself in the drum which adds to its bulk and may get it very tight within the drum. Too much line to start will compound that problem. I mark my furling line at the entry point to the furler (by knotting it) when I remove the sail every winter to ensure I have the correct amount of line on the drum to start.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I would never intentionally be out in a 25kt "breeze" :D
In Port Jackson (Sydney Harbor) the boats hardly start to come out until the wind is between 20 and 25 kt. It’s an amazing sight to see ‘em coming out in “droves” into white-capped water.