Self-bailing, deep seat dinghy?

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Not to start a great dinghy debate, but because I have a very specific 'ideal' and wonder if anyone knows a real boat that matches. My wife has weak knees, long legs, and terrible balance. She finds getting into and out of our current dinghy (an 8' classic Boston Whaler tender, otherwise perfect) painful because of the relatively low seat--her leg gets bent sharply and then she has trouble standing. Something like the Water Tender has a deeper cockpit and might work better, but the Whaler has one feature I refuse to give up. It is self-bailing at the dock. I love coming to a dry boat, especially with the wet weather we have had in the Northeast this year. The owner of the Water Tender next to me has spent ten minutes bailing almost every time he comes out, and a couple of weeks the aft end had sunk so much the outboard housing was in the water. We really only use the tender to get to and from our mooring, so I am not as concerned about towing, beaching or other characteristics. Short of getting a full size power boat, anyone know of something 8-9 feet with self-bailing and higher seats?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've seen several hard dingies at my dock with a solar powered battery and small sump pump. They always look dry to me when walking past them. You could put that on just about any dingy as fat as I can tell

dj

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There are plenty of RIBs available with flat floors, and bilge drains that are easy to get into, have comfortable seating and have massive bouyancy. If I was having to deal with a trailer dinghy like the BW I would sell it and buy a console RIB. Just more versatile.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I think the one feature you're unwilling to give up, is your problem. Because the Whaler is self bailing, it has a raised sole that has to be above the waterline, to self bail.

That's dilemma. Any good rowing boat will have to have enough seat height to be comfortable. Anything tender sized with a raised our double bottom isn't likely to have seat height comfortable for your wife.

Seems you either go bigger - self bailing, or figure out another way to deal with bailing (which is a pain, I know) with a comfortable boat which is a good way to describe a good tender.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I do want a pudgy, but for $3000 I might have to give up the wife.
I do like the idea of rigging a raised seat. If you can't raise bridge, lower the river. Think I'll try that first. Thanks.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Not to start a great dinghy debate, but because I have a very specific 'ideal' and wonder if anyone knows a real boat that matches. My wife has weak knees, long legs, and terrible balance. She finds getting into and out of our current dinghy (an 8' classic Boston Whaler tender, otherwise perfect) painful because of the relatively low seat--her leg gets bent sharply and then she has trouble standing. Something like the Water Tender has a deeper cockpit and might work better, but the Whaler has one feature I refuse to give up. It is self-bailing at the dock. I love coming to a dry boat, especially with the wet weather we have had in the Northeast this year. The owner of the Water Tender next to me has spent ten minutes bailing almost every time he comes out, and a couple of weeks the aft end had sunk so much the outboard housing was in the water. We really only use the tender to get to and from our mooring, so I am not as concerned about towing, beaching or other characteristics. Short of getting a full size power boat, anyone know of something 8-9 feet with self-bailing and higher seats?
Some years back I installed a SS rail in our 10 ft RIB to facilitate boarding from docks and from Maxine. Unfortunately I do not have a pic but the rail is approximately 48 inches high and spans the full deck width of the RIB. Such a device is very helpful boarding and could be helpful in standing after sitting. We have an 11 ft Whaler also and I understand the rising and sitting issue with all traditional whalers. In the 11 ft I made seat backs for both seats and that also helps. One's butt has a long way to travel when sitting or rising in the Whaler. I know it well.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
The raised seat seems like a good idea. Try a company called TODD. They make a lot of pedestal seats that are inexpensive.
Not the highest quality but I think they will have something that would work for you.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Reminds me of a great country song "....he's gone country...look at them boots...."